1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

One job or another

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Saland45, Dec 11, 2015.

  1. Saland45

    Saland45 New commenter

    hi

    I have been lucky enough to secure a post in January after leaving another school in July...after a lot of interviews!!! The hrs have not been set yet or the actual length of the contract other than it is temporary and it cld be weeks or months which seems a bit vague..and I am going in to discuss next week although I do know what the role is ....in the meantime I have been invited for another interview which is a fixed contract until August and is for a set amount of hours...can I go to that interview? Do I ? The meeting is one day and the interview next....I am tempted to go ...
     
  2. JohnJCazorla

    JohnJCazorla Star commenter

    Step 1 is to certainly say you'll attend the interview. That puts off the decision until the morning of the interview. You could always ring up and cancel it then.

    More importantly it gives you a bargaining chip to use if you should discover that the January post is still undefined (or defined as less than you need).
     
  3. Kartoshka

    Kartoshka Established commenter

    Well, it depends what you mean by "secure a post". If you have been offered the post but have not yet accepted it (verbally), then you can go to the other interview with a clear conscience. If you have accepted the post (verbally) then it would not be very fair to attend another interview. Would you like it if the school were to turn round and withdraw their offer of work?

    However, as you don't seem to know what the role is, it could be that, when you attend this meeting, you find that it is not actually something you want to do. You might be wise to keep your options open and plan to attend the interview, until you find out more about the job you have been offered. If you agree at the meeting to take up the position they are offering, you should contact the other school and withdraw from the interview.
     
  4. Saland45

    Saland45 New commenter

    Still not been finalised....in so much as it might be for six weeks but might not be! Might be a certain number of hrs but the rest you claim for... I haven't signed anything, or filled anything in and I am still going for interview tomorrow....I feel that they want more of an agency person but on a cheaper deal!!!! Any one come across this sort of thing before? ....
     

Share This Page