1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One for the ladies.wing back armchairs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Mar 11, 2011.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I have 2 armchairs and 3 seat sofa which got off a friend.They are wingback chairs with zipped in back cushions and ever so comfortable. The bottons cushions are shaped but fit in loose under the back cushions so they are sort of held in place/
    The covers on it are wearing and i need some new ones.I cant leave the chairs without covers as underneath is what looks like white suede!I did think of throws but not sure id like an all enveloping shape.
    I haver searched online but i cant see the model and shape of chairs i have.
    Anyone help...or know a machinist who might make these for me.....The ones have seen on line for similat but not the same are very very dear/
    Ps as they are fitted they are a sod to get on and off lol

2. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

If I may be allowed to brag a bit...?
    when we bought a wing back 'back care' chair for Mr G I decided to make a loose cover for it using some upholstery fabric off the market. by placing the fabric on the chair and cutting out panels to fit, I managed to make a fitted cover with a zip up one of the back seams - snug and smart fit. Also made a box cover for the seat cushion in similar manner. I used newspaper to make pattern for some of the trickier parts, like the inside of the wings and the ends of the arms.
    fabric is cheap - why not gave a go yourself?

3. What about this?
    http://www.loose-covers.biz/Gallery5%20Wingback%20loose%20covers.html
    Or Plumbs?

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

thanks folks and jazz for the last link
    as i suspected it'll cost me at worst something ove £800 to cover 2 chairs and a sofa..........almost cheaper to buy new furniture.
    i really think ill have to find either small local person or just throw a loose cover over them.
    I never realise thast covers would cost so much til i started looking.
    Its the price of a holiday just to look smart and i think a new carpet is more important.

5. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I think I've understood your OP (please forgive me if I've got the wong end of the stick)...
    You have high backed chairs
    They have loose covers that are a bit threadbare?
    You'd like new covers?
    Do you not sew at all? Or know someone with a sewing machine?
    I'd take off the loose covers and make some paper templates from them. Buy material, cut it out (make sure there is a decent sized seam allowance) and then stitch together, taking note of "dodgy" areas from the original covers.
    Have I got the wrong end of the stick?[​IMG]

6. Exactly what I was going to suggest marshypops!

7. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

You should be even more likely to find some kind of help then. I remember when I lived in such an area - tailors/sewers were too a penny.

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I can't see that you would need to have much of a discussion, so sewing machinist's language won't be important, surely?
    Just point at chair, point at the fabric of choice and write down a price.
    Nod.
    Deal done!