1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One for the grammar Nazis...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peter12171, Sep 12, 2018.

1. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Me too!

nomad likes this.
  3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

You wouldn't believe (okay you probably would) the outcry on local radio about this.

cassandramark2, colpee and nomad like this.
  5. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

Just thought I’d add this as, being a grammar pedant (and one of the subjects in this photograph), I’d never noticed the missing apostrophe until now.

Quelle horreur!
    59D8EC2C-42EA-45B0-B1AE-AB705C2A26AA.jpeg

TCSC47, peter12171 and nomad like this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Since we have EngLAND, ScotLAND, IreLAND and Wales (LAND), I think the apostrophe should be placed differently, making it a possessive plural apostrophe, i.e., Lands' End.

:D

cassandramark2 likes this.
  7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Few historians appreciate that Lands End originally acquired its name from the early days of aviation and a sign next to the sea at the end of a short runway.

There was once a tea rooms near the sign, where charabancs full of tourists and bookmakers would arrive to place bets on which aviators were skilled enough to come to a stop when they landed, before they passed the sign.

8. cassandramark2

Oh God...I’ve now noticed the missing apostrophe from John O’ Groats. :eek::eek:

mothorchid and nomad like this.
  9. cassandramark2

My next step should be to check that the distance to Los Angeles is accurate but I can’t bear the inevitable disappointment:(

10. peter12171

How would you know if it’s accurate? 6077 might be the right figure, but is it miles? Yards? Metres? Kilometres? :oops:

11. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

No units are given so it must be right!

cassandramark2 and nomad like this.
  12. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Yes, I’ve just invented a new unit, it’s called a yod, its symbol is Y.
    1 yod is equal to 1/6077th the distance between land’s end and Los Angeles, measured in any other unit!

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Don't.

In Birmingham. Kings Norton. Occasionally appears as King's Norton. But there appears to be no consistency in the signage.

And which king? Clearly only one. I'm going for George IV.

14. cassandramark2

Apart from the grammar pedantry, I’ve just noticed my mother’s sandals. Very 2018.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.:D

15. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

I think you'll find that an apostrophe is punctuation rather than grammar.

16. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Lo's Angele's, surely?

17. peter12171

True, but those who wish to see it used correctly are usually referred to as ‘grammar Nazis’.

18. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

At the end of my road are two signs giving its name. They are directly opposite each other and both require an apostrophe. One has the apostrophe; th3other doesn’t. And it really annoys me. I have been known to correct the missing apostrophe. I usually add EBI. The sign is still failing to make progress in this matter.

And another thing: why grammar - or punctuation - Nazi? What is so wrong with caring about and being punctilious about language? You don’t hear about maths Nazis who correct your addition or geography Nazis who correct you when you assert that Moscow is the capital of France, do you. (I should probably have used third person impersonal there.) Even colleagues in the English team use the GN comment! I can’t tell you the grief I received when I offered to proofread the literacy coordinator’s material. The response still keeps me awake at night.

So, if I’m a grammar Nazi in some people’s eyes, I proudly accept the identification. All punctuation matters. Punctuation is beautiful. Let’s ensure that the full range of punctuation receives it’s due and none is neglected and overlooked.

Rant over. ;)