1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One for Headteachers...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Hard done by, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Just canvassing opinion... Is there any good reason for primary schools not to either a) hand over the children's books at the end of the school year or b) allow parents (or those that wish) to have the books for a night to be returned next day if the school wishes to retain them? From a parents perspective, its frustrating to be denied access to my own child's work and to have some sort of 'memento' for the future - either in the form of the original books or at least copies of the best bits! The opportunity to view work at parents evening is inadequate because there is very little time to look in detail, and I find the closed doors no-you-can't attitude really frustrating!
    Just wondered what thoughts were on this one...

2. Just canvassing opinion... Is there any good reason for primary schools not to either a) hand over the children's books at the end of the school year or b) allow parents (or those that wish) to have the books for a night to be returned next day if the school wishes to retain them? From a parents perspective, its frustrating to be denied access to my own child's work and to have some sort of 'memento' for the future - either in the form of the original books or at least copies of the best bits! The opportunity to view work at parents evening is inadequate because there is very little time to look in detail, and I find the closed doors no-you-can't attitude really frustrating!
    Just wondered what thoughts were on this one...

3. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

Maybe you could ask after the transition to the next teacher has been made.. your child's next teacher might use the books to see progress and where you child is, in order to group or plan correctly for them.

Perhaps once this is done by September/October you could ask again?

4. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I'm always reluctant to send books home overnight as, with the best will in the world, they rarely make it back for when they are next needed! If a parent wanted to see their child's book, they are always more than welcome to pop in after school to look through it.

My school hangs onto English, Maths and Science books at the end of each school year (for "evidence" or "reference") and sends them home the following year, ie Yr4 books go home at the end of Yr5. I personally think it's a massive waste of valuable storage space! Also, Yr6 only get their books back if they remember to come back and collect them or they have a younger sibling.

I can't see a reason for a head not allowing you to see the books. After all, the work in it belongs to your child, not the teacher, the head or the school.

(I'm not a head.)

5. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

The only time we had to do this was when Ofsted were looming and we wanted all the books just in case!
    I would never send books home with a child as I've made that mistake and never saw them again. I would however allow a parent as long as they wanted to look at them in school and would be happy to photocopy key pieces.

6. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I know one school where they stopped handing books over at the end of the year because they got parents in the next academic year complaining about stuff like odd pieces of work that hadn't been marked.
    The reason many schools keep them is as evidence for OFSTED.