1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One exam board per subject - common sense breaks out

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by hardlife, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Govey might be about to do something I agree with for a change.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8947391/Exam-boards-investigation-Michael-Gove-will-reform-system-to-prevent-boards-competing.html

2. Govey might be about to do something I agree with for a change.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8947391/Exam-boards-investigation-Michael-Gove-will-reform-system-to-prevent-boards-competing.html

3. swampyjo

swampyjo New commenter

All well and good, but he must also allow a return to 3 tiers AND continue to allow early entry for those capable of A* early. The competition between the boards, coupled with the 2 tier system has led to a higher tier not fit for purpose.
    One board
    No modular
    3 tiers
    No coursework.

.........a level playing field and competition between schools. Perhaps we might get a REAL rise in standards then.

4. I have no problem with making examinations real tests of ability.
    Just wondering how Mr Gove will explain the decrease in the number of good passes under his watch which will inevitably happen.

5. DM

DM New commenter

The number of good passes won't decrease. The clear expectation will be that the boundary must be set to ensure that a slightly higher percentage of students achieve A* to C - the policy will be declared an unqualified success and standards will be seen to continue to rise.

6. If this happens then I would not be surprised but the whole proposed reorganisation will have been a waste of time. The boundaries will have to go even lower than they are now if more rigorous examinations are set. We'll be looking at around 15% for a grade C. How will Gove and the Daily Mail explain that?

7. DM

DM New commenter

You can say they are more rigorous without making them more rigorous - for example by removing modularisation.

8. It appears they are making them more rigorous by taking out some of the old A* content.
    Just look at the new GCSE criteria.
    OCR have already changed from labelling work as being A*/A/B/C etc or module 10/9/8/7 etc to Gold/Silver/Bronze/Initial.
    Nice ways to skip content and make it look like you're making it harder...

9. Nah, more likely they'll keep C at a reasonable level and blame teachers for either:
    (a) Not teaching properly, or (b) Not entering pupils for the right tier.
    Gove has already mentioned in a couple of speeches that "results might inevitably fall for a couple of years." And whilst I don't think he'll remember that, he's probably hoping it will happen in order to attack teachers.

10. Doesn't usually need a reason to attack teachers.

11. Very true. But attacks against teachers of a political motivation are extremely common.
    Societal ills - due to a lack of education.
    Truanting - lack of good quality education.
    Poor performance - lack of education.
    High teenage pregnancy rates - poor educaation.
    Lack of financial understanding - poor education.
    Nobody political ever blames poor parenting because its a political minefield (and if they do, then we in education get the blame anyhow).
    Education results improve - exams are getting easier or teachers are cheating.
    Forget that teachers are working harder as are many pupils. Forget the extra hours teachers spend in revision classes at lunches and after-school. Forget the efforts in half-terms and other holidays.
    They alter the criteria of courses - teachers adapt.
    They change oftsed criteria - we adapt.
    They change what is meant by a good lesson - we adapt.
    Whatever any government changes, teachersb will adapt. 5 A* to C was a benchmark - we improved results. That was too good, schools were "cheating" so then it became 5 A* to C inc. English and Maths - we improved results. That seems too good, so now its levelss of progress we'll get checked against.
    Gove says we're not academic enough. Other educationalists that he "listens" to state we're too academic and not practical enough. More state we don't teach the right things, like programming. Other state that we don't enliven lessons enough by the use of ICT and other resources. Other educationalists state X or Y.
    And schools react to everything.
    And adapt.
    Never given credit, only ever vilified.

12. Brambo
    I made this change because with two tiers instead of three there was no need for ten stages: six or seven made more sense. We should have done it in 2006 to be honest but that was before my time.
    Can you please explain exactly what A/A* material I removed from the GCSE specification that was <u>not</u> removed by Ofqual in the subject criteria? The equation of a circle and the graph of the tangent function, for example, were both removed by Ofqual, not by OCR.
    If you have any questions or concerns about Maths B, do please let me know.
    Kevin