1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'One dead and one missing' as migrant boat sinks

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Oct 27, 2020.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

One man has died and another person is missing after a boat carrying migrants sank while trying to reach the UK from France, according to reports.

A large search and rescue operation began after the vessel was seen in difficulty near Dunkirk.

Seventeen people were rescued, and three had gone into cardiac arrest, including two children, news agency AFP reported.

Local official Herve Tourmente said it is feared a young child is missing.

"It seems that one person, who might be an infant, is still missing," he told reporters.

I think the French authorities should be held at least partially responsible for allowing this to happen.

2. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Star commenter

and possibly one or two children, according to LBC

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Tragic to have got so far and disaster at the final crossing.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Two children - aged five and eight - and a man and a woman have died. Fifteen others have been taken to hospital.

Why is it that the French authorities cannot monitor and regulate the purchase of inflatables and outboard engines in the region?

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Especially as they were in a safe country with a functioning social security system.

6. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

Monitoring and regulating the purchase of items is really very simple to carry out.
    Which is why alcohol and tobacco are never sold to those underage and no one can buy any illegal drugs.

monicabilongame and Scintillant like this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Absolutely. Why gamble, and lose, the lives of your children trying to go further.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Illegal drugs are not sold through licenced wholesalers and retailers. For the most part inflatables and outboard engines, at least new ones, are.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  9. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

The same reason we can't? The boat could have been purchased from anywhere. You can get an MD-F7 and outboard for around £1200 on ebay.

nomad and ajrowing like this.
  10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Because they don't want to? Someone else's problem?

nomad and Oscillatingass like this.
  11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Sorry, I can't do multi-quote. One of my ex-pupils was sent to the UK because someone from his village was already here. Might be something as simple as that.

12. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

This sort of news is indeed tragic, but all too often we hear of these dreadful stories . . . . . and the next day something else comes on the news and all too often this story is lost in the mass. Yet these are people who have shared our world, breathed the same air, had the same hopes and ambitions as we all had probably (or still have). Yes, I went to work in Canada, but went through a stiff interview in London first before they allowed me to go and I went on the ship with other young people - a week on a large ship. When we eventually reached Montreal, there was yet another interview. They wanted to know what work you did, how much money you had with you, did you have an address to go to and . . . if you couldn't get work, did you have the name of someone who would pay for you to return home. I'm afraid that migrating to another country to live and work isn't easy.

13. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I live close to the Channel, and it has been an absolutely foul day today (wind, rain). I wouldn't have enjoyed a ferry crossing i this weather, to be honest...

14. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Unless you make it virtually impossible to buy one this can't be stopped. You'll also need to stop sales in Belgium too. And if you do, I'd say thefts will increase...

nomad likes this.
  15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Whenever we stop overnight in the camper van parking area at Gravelines, one of the first checks I do before setting off for the Dunkirk ferry port in the morning is to see if anybody's attached themselves to my rear axle overnight. Most camper van owners avoid Calais for this reason, but it's similar at places like Wissant too. Overnight parking areas along the A16 Autoroute are closed at some distance from Calais, mainly to prevent migrants jumping on trucks.

The last few times we came back via Dunkirk an armed soldier checked the inside of the vehicle at the port. It's most definitely a live issue in that area, but there's miles of dune-backed beaches where people can hide before launching a dinghy at night. They can't realistically patrol every inch of the northern French coast.

monicabilongame likes this.
  16. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I am not so sure.

When a very naive teen a friend and I decided to sleep on a beach in Israel that had signs saying we must not overnight there. Egypt and Jordan were close by.

Within a few hours we were woken by strong lights in our faces and a boat ordering us to stay where we are.

The Israelis were very nice to us because we admitted it all and even gave us some food. They said we were found using motion detectors and lasers - this was back in the 80s!

Finally they said we had to be seen climbing back into the safe area otherwise they were supposed to take us immediately to jail, where we risked 5-10 years.

We were over that fence and waving thanks to them in seconds. Even Trump's wall would not have stopped us.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  17. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

If there is a will there is a way.

dumpty and nomad like this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Also worth noting that the Nord Pas de Calais region was not in good economic shape before the migrant influx began - funding and resources are limited.