1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One Day

Discussion in 'Book club' started by anon3372, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Maybe it is my age, but this book had me laughing, crying, grinning, howling, being smug, feeling humble, but above all saying "Yes! That is exactly how it was!" A total rollercoaster of a book which involved a lot of me being selfish and spending time in the bath when I should have been ironing...
    Any other thoughts?

2. Maybe it is my age, but this book had me laughing, crying, grinning, howling, being smug, feeling humble, but above all saying "Yes! That is exactly how it was!" A total rollercoaster of a book which involved a lot of me being selfish and spending time in the bath when I should have been ironing...
    Any other thoughts?

3. purplepixie

purplepixie New commenter

Well, I'm 27, so I don't think I'm really falling into the category where I can say "maybe it's my age", but I absolutely LOVED this little story. Just completely gorgeous.

Not WELL written, but rather CLEVERLY written and much like Starter for Ten he's got the knack of making you feel exactly what he wants to for the characters.

For example, throughout the story Dexter behaves like an absolute $*!#, and yet all the way through I kept finding myself thinking, hoping, wishing, PLEADING with him to turn himself around and be the nice guy we all know he is underneath. Event after event, and his own arrogance, stop this from happening. Then... he does it. He realises. He married Emma. And then...

Well. I must admit I didn't cry, but that was genuinely due to shock. I re-read that most final of chapters repeatedly - about three times I think - to see if there were any clues whatsoever to what was about to happen! Nothing. Sigh.

Anyway, yes. I LOVE this book. It's marvellous. Can't wait to see how the movie (starring Anne Hathaway) measures up. Now go and recommend this to all your friends!!

4. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I was really looking forward to reading this, so much so that I think I rushed it. Didn't have the effect on me I thought it would, but will give it another read soon.

5. Whereas I thought it was over-hyped rubbish!

6. I didn't realise there was to be a film!
    That might be a disappointment - I suspect Hathaway is to play Emma? Emma isn't anything like Hathaway in my mind!
    Dexter is a bit of a Hugh Grant - but Hugh is too old for the part.
    I absolutely loved the book - and the ending was a right twist and a shocker. I still have the post it from my sis (who sent me the book after she had read it) stuck in the front and she said "You will end up saying "yes! oh my god, no, were we like that? Oh my God, yes - I remember that happening as well.." etc. etc. and that is exactly what happened.

7. I've been meaning to look out for this book after listening to an interview with the author on 5Live a few weeks ago. I'll definitely go and get it now, having read all your comments on it.

8. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

9. ha! Well, I don't see her being right as Em either. And that photo is obviously of the wedding (blue chinese silk dress) but the hair is all wrong (and just HOW often is her hair mentioned in the book?).
    Am I supposed to know who the actor is? I've never heard of him!

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I was genuinely surprised and really liked it. Utterly different to anything I'd usually read, which is why I was surprised. Read it on holiday in Crete last summer, which was fitting given that some of the book takes place on the Greek islands, and read it in a day on the beach. Incidentally, the One Day in the book is my wife's birthday!
    Have since read Starter for Ten which I enjoyed a great deal, but less than One Day. Easy term-time reading though. Wife bought me his second book, the name of which I've forgotten, but it's sitting upstairs on the bathroom bookshelf (are we odd in having a bulging bookshelf in the bathroom, by the way? It's just occurred to me to wonder this!), awaiting feeling suitably exhausted at the end of this term and needing an easy read.

11. The Understudy?
    I haven't read any of his other books - is Starter for Ten worth it, even if not as enjoyable as One Day? I need some ideas for easy Easter reading!

12. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

That's it.
    Starter for Ten is certainly worth it, even if not a patch on One Day Very, very funny in places and moving too. I think for me it's Nicholl's dialogue that is so spot on - given that he's a screenwriter this shouldn't be surprising. It's easy reading indeed, during Easter I'd suspect you'd fly through it.
    It references University Challenge a lot, CQ, Bamber Gascoigne's era. - I know you live in Germany, but I can't remember if you're originally from the UK or have lived here?! Sorry for my ignorance...[​IMG]..just wanted to make sure that you'd understand the references to British TV and a lot of British eighties culture...

13. Yip, I grew up in the UK and studied there - I have been here for 21 years and don't get many modern culture references but I am not so far out of the loop that I don't know what UC is or who Bamber Gascoigne was [​IMG]
    I'll check the book out.

14. btw - I agree on the dialogues - they had me in stitches with One Day.
    I was mulling and comparing to the Millenium trilogy, which I also loved (because of the plot) but where I found the dialogues so wooden and stilted and unnatural (maybe it was just the translation - no idea how natural they were in Swedish).

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This is a double post - I am so enchanted by this book that I am posting about it all over.
    Something entirely different that I have just finished, and regret having done so! Finished it, I mean, no regrets for having read it.
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="text-align:center;"><tr><td id="prodImageCell">[​IMG] </td></tr><tr><td class="tiny">
    </td></tr></table>
    Its full title is That Summer in Sicily - a love story. And on reflection I suppose that it is, but not obviously so. In fact I would say that it ist he story of a love of Sicily, of a love for the land, the food, the people. Read the Amazon reviews: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/034549766X/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
    Can't wait to get some of her other books.
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Apparantly they have changed the end for the film - or at least finished the film before the end.

17. What!!?? How can they do that!? I must stop watching films that are also my favourite books!!
    Saying that, just watched Starter for 10 tonight and felt cheated!! Despite a fantastic cast (loved the character of Patrick!) they changed a lot of the book and therefore changed the values of the characters particularly Spencer!!

18. jeswes

jeswes New commenter

Has anyone seen the film yet? I watched it yesterday. They have stuck to the book pretty well and I did enjoy it but Anne Hathaway is wrong for the part of Emma and her accent is all over the place! Jim Sturgess pllaying Dexter is very good but I don't think it came over how low he got in the book with the drink etc. I went with someone who hadn't read the book and they hated it saying it is boring! I would say it is worth seeing but could have been done better.