1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One day contract and training days...!?!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by the apprentice, Mar 23, 2012.

1. the apprentice

the apprentice New commenter

I have been doing supply at a local school as an when it was needed, until the head in September gave me one day a week on a contract. The thing is I'm not sure about attending training days! I have been to one and have done twilight sessions that I claimed as extra hours.
    We have another one in April and it will be difficult for me to attend as I have a child at home to look after. The day is actually on the day I would normally work, so do I class it as a usual school day?
    Not really sure about my legal requirement s regards training days and don't want to appear rude and the head think I'm not bothered or go and expect to be paid extra. Can anyone help please?

2. I would double check if they need you to work other days first. If not them go to the training as usually teachers attend as part of their paid directed time. If they do want you to work then ask what the training day is about and say that you will attend if paid additionally for it. When I was permanent the TAs only ever came to training days if they were being paid additionally. It could be useful CPD to attend though, something you can note on your future applications. Your contract day would definitely include staff meetings/training etc as part of your day. I guess it's up to you to negotiate. We used to have this problem with staff part time when inset days were on their day off. They had to agree to attend a percentage as part of their directed time despite what day they worked but sometimes swapped days.