1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One child Policy

Discussion in 'Geography' started by missiongeography, Oct 19, 2018.

1. missiongeography

missiongeography New commenter

Hi,

Your thoughts please. I´ve just finished teaching population to Year 8 and as part of the scheme I covered "The one child Policy" but it got me thinking, this should be dropped from the scheme surely. It's now very out of date.

Thanks.

Sam.

2. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I think you can talk about how it was a policy as most children think it's still in place, but teach what's current to put it in context. When I teach development, a lot of children still assume China is a very poor country with everyone living in poverty.

3. kentp1

kentp1 New commenter

springboard to discussion about ageing populations and chinas two child policy. there was a useful bbc video on this some time ago to bring them up to date. we have had the same thoughts but are keeping it for this year.

4. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I teach this in China....!

It's only been in the last year that the policy has changed, and even then many people got round it. It's still valid as an example of a government population control policy and is still in part in effect - technically it's now a "two child policy" - but the Government and in particular President Xi's statements recently have played down birth control, signaling a gradual change in stance.

A good article from the Guardian about this (might be OK for more able students):

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...hild-policy-will-haunt-the-nation-for-decades

5. Greeengirl

Greeengirl New commenter

I think you can definitely still discuss it, there are still implications from the one child policy today, and as others have mentioned it's interesting to discuss the switch to a 'two-child policy', and there have even been recent talks about relaxing that.
    I would keep it as I think it's still relevant to see how the Chinese government have changed their actions on population control over the years, and how the effects of these actions continue to impact Chinese society today.