1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One celebrated head’s 12-point manifesto to rescue the teaching profession from crisis

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 4, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Trust is a 2 way street - I'm not sure you can convince teachers to trust even a 'celebrated' leader. I'm with the junior doctors on this - a proper teachers contract that all schools have to abide by and remove the clause 'what ever the head teacher sees as reasonable'. All the other stuff is fluff that we would have no control over.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Along with most people who have been in at the sharp end, I'm in broad agreement. One head against the willfully deaf cost-cutting Government and instruments of state though?
    They don't want to save the teaching profession as it currently stands.

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It's largely irrelevant and misses the elephant in the room

Teachers know what the problem is.

It is management, Heads and Ofsted that need to change. And their wholly misplaced obsession with data, statistics, monitoring, ridiculous marking policies, the need to "show" being more important than what is actually "done" and results at any cost. And an insane workload

Anyway, it is clearly waaaaay to late.

Compassman and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

John West Burnham writes a lot about trust in his work. He is a bit of a hero of mine. ( On the off chance that you are reading this John. I shall always remember your input to our school's INSET a very long time ago - truly impressive ...and your contribution to the Goleman conference in Nottingham)

6. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

Though some of us on here, well me for one, believe that the English teaching profession (sic) as it currently stands doesn't merit saving !

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Why do we need a "celebrated head" for those 12 points? It's a reiteration of everything I've seen posted on here for the last 10 years.

If anyone in power really wants to make positive changes, just get on and do it. But don't make teachers the people who have to change (again). Just surprise us by creating an environment where we feel rewarded and valued so that each morning we wake and it's a little bit easier and little bit happier going in to work.

8. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

To me, what this head is mostly saying seems to be: let us do our own thing and don't criticise us. Don't think so!

9. Frieryt

Frieryt New commenter

There's nothing to argue against, but the fact it's from a Head screams out. Nothing there attempts to deal with the crushing workload on teachers, the impossibility of maintaining any sense of reasonable work/life balance. The impact on family life for teachers with younger children, the impact on relationships and the impact on health. I'd obviously agree with what he said but am genuinely shocked at his lack of reference to the above. As long as Ofsted acts as a judgmental institution, not a service helping, advising schools on how they could raise standards in specific areas, when they would be welcomed in, not dreaded. The starting premise, the initial assumption, should be that 'this institution is full of hard working, professional, committed staff, trying to deliver the best education for their pupils Let's visit and confirm that, encourage the staff and, if, using our experience and expertise, we can see some improvements or recommend (if necessary insist) on some changes to current practices, lets support the school to implement those changes'. As opposed to coming in and trying to 'catch them out' then the drive to achieve an 'outstanding' status is always going to turn teachers into tools to be used by heads as a means of achieving that 'outstanding' goal. As a bi-product of that ambition, the children might consequently/coincidently get some first class educational experience, but only as a bi product of the schools focus on doing the OFSTED dance. At what price for the teaching staff and their families. And the shocker, I'm not a teacher, I'm married to a teacher. 25 years of marriage, the last 7 with her teaching...if anyone's listening and if it's not too selfish...I'd like my wife back please. Quality time is not us both sitting together in the evening with her glued to a laptop.

minnie me likes this.
  10. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

That phrase about what the headteacher considers reasonable needs removing. There needs to be a contract with a limit on hours and duties. At the moment an increasing number of unscrupulous heads are deciding what THEY think is reasonable.

The problem of course is that academies can set their own T&Cs because the government thinks it gives them 'freedom' whereas in reality it gives them the opportunity to abuse the workload and working hours of teachers.

No other teachers in Europe would put up with the kind of treatment that teachers do here.

11. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I do mean all schools Compassman