1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One Born Every Minute

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by beaties, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Apparently, a new series is starting 10/01/2011 [​IMG]

xx

2. I've not seen any of these. Managed to catch up on the great sperm race yesterday (which IMO was ok). Hubby is at work so once my houseowrk and marking is uptodate then I shall be watching a couple of these. Not sure if it is a good idea as sometimes these things really put me off lol.

3. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

I did some catching up yesterday and watched the first 2 from the Christmas editions. There was limited 'goo' so fairly safe to watch I'd say from that point of view. Looking forward to a new series to watch on 4od in the classroom! (OH wouldn't go near it for me to watch at home.) The trick is doing it late enough so nobody notices as I don't want to give the ttc game away.

4. I can't watch, not because I'm squeamish, but I don't want to watch others having babies when it's still elluding us.
    I feel terrible for saying that but it's true, don't judge me!

5. OK watched first Christmas one. OMG I am such a wimp. Not the blood or guts (I can deal with that) but the whole thing made me go weak at the knees. I have such a low pain threshold and I think that I will never be able to cope. LOL how pathetic am I, it is what woman were biologically made to do.

(PS I know I'll be watching the rest though even if it is with the sound down [​IMG])

6. Hi Seriouslikecrazy,
    It is pretty daunting isn't it!? I'm making myself watch it though. I think I'm learnnig quite a lot actually. i'm also a real wuss but it is quite inspiring watching 'ordinary' women (I don't mean that to sound rude at all) doing such an incredible job and coping with so much!
    I found myself really wondering hard about the partner or 'man's' role. Until 30 odd years ago they weren't there at the bedside and in a way I can start to see why!!! Never considered before what a helpless role they seem to have. To watch your partner in pain.i know when I'm in pain I hate being touched!
    Of course i may be talking out of my **** never having been through labour!

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I can't bring myself to watch other women in labour, even though i've done it myself.
    I always thought I was a real wimp, but i managed with just TENS and then gas and air in the last half hour. It really is amazing what you can do [​IMG] I wouldn't have wanted to be filmed though..yuck!

8. Thanks,kittens, and many congratulations on your little girl! Becky x

9. I LOVE this programme. I remember the series last year started exactly a week after I'd had my LO, so always reminds me of trying to stay awake until 9pm to watch it!
    The Xmas programmes made me very broody. Not sure why as it puts most people off!!!

10. hazeymazey

hazeymazey New commenter

I loved watching the Christmas day one - I gave birth to our daughter at 7.26 in the morning on Christmas day so could watch it from the relative comfort of my hospital bed thinking A) God am glad that's over and B) I certainly wouldn't want to be filmed doing it!! it made me so so tearful though - too many hormones. sigh.

hazey x

11. Thought I should bump this ready for tonight's episode! 9pm on Channel 4.
    [​IMG]
    x

12. I agree - I wouldn't judge anyone for what they do to get through labour but seriously!? Can that amount of noise really have helped? I am just really not a vocal person though and just feel uncomfortable (even when in that situation myself) making a fuss! I did say "for f***'s sake" once (i NEVER swear), but according to OH, even that wasn't very convincing... Each to her own [​IMG]

13. I cringed watching her, my midwife me not to make any noise, it was a waste of energy!!!

14. I couldn't help but laugh at that poor screaming girl. It's a good job she had the epidural though because I thought the pushing bit hurt the most! It felt very unnatural to push when he was crowning because every time I did it felt like my bits had been set alight! Much worse than contractions for me!
    I barely made a sound with contractions but my god did I scream when he was coming out!

15. Yes it really does!! I think however, that the amount of screaming/noise a woman makes in labour isn't just linked to her pain threshold but also to her personality. I reckon if you're a very vocal/loud/expressive person you are going to be like this in labour and vice versa. Watching that girl last night I asked my OH if I was like that when I'd given birth and he said 'not at all'. I sort of 'went into myself' during the contractions (which does correlate with my personality). I do think I swore and yelled during the final stages mind!

16. Me too - this and coach trip and a couple of songs remind me of the early weeks and make me feel really emotional. For those of you who haven't given birth yet - you really will adore this program so much more when you have your LO.

17. I watched this on 4oD last night. I can't believe that it is helpful to scream that much and if there was someone like that when our baby is born I think it would really freak me out having to listen to it.

It's the thought of this bit that bothers / scares me the most I think. I don't know how long it usually goes on for and I just think of it being the most painful thing ever.

18. It was the thrashing about that was worrying as well - I couldn't have done that at 41 weeks!!

19. Rest assured that she was not normal. Correct me if I'm wrong but all of my friends and I "went into ourselves" at contractions; i rocked and listened to my iPod- no screaming at all. In fact I was watching that and cringing to myself, thinking that she'd have been better off getting upright and moving about rather than thrashing about on the bed like a crazed animal. Each to their own though!

20. So looking forward to tonights show!!!