1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

One a day antihystamine

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Jul 23, 2019.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Just taken my second one a day loratadine. . I've been on one a day for a week but the bite on my foot is getting nastier looking . Worth the risk I reckon. And if it stops my eyes itching that'll be a bonus!

2. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Are you sure it is an insect bite on your foot? I scratched my left wrist on a rose bush some years ago and the chances of being here were one in a million (streptococcal infection). I'd go to the doctor or better still, hospital, if it gets worse. I hope it is nothing much.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Go and get it checked if it doesn't improve. It might have become infected and need antibiotics.

grumpydogwoman and agathamorse like this.
  4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Clean it with aloe Vera or tea tree solution to help it heal, but if it's looking red or pus like, yep, Dr. Just in case. Do you know what you were bitten by. Tick bites can be nasty.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Don't take more than one antihistamines a day.

Corvuscorax and agathamorse like this.
  6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Go to the doctor.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I take two 'one a day' antihistamines all summer...only way to be able to see all day and not look like Rudolph with his red nose! A few years ago (when someone worried my by saying it was dangerous, so I went to the doctor) my GP said it was fine and cheaper to do that than have prescription antihistamines, so I carried on.

Not sure they will do much for an insect bite though...if that's getting worse go to the GP.
    We have a local fly that causes really gross looking, gungy holes in some people's ankles if they get bitten. Takes months for the scars to disappear.

agathamorse, lindenlea and Marshall like this.
  8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Thanks for the advice. I always react to bites and usually have a few bad ones each year. I can ask where the chemist is in several European languages. Have always been advised to take antihistamine. I have often take two different sorts but only have the one sort at the moment. it was walking through a park yesterday. I haven't got the multicoloured concentric circles yet so I think I'm going with @caterpillartobutterfly. I usually decry people on here who just wait until someone comes on and says what they want to hear but that's me today. :)

agathamorse and Marshall like this.
  9. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I also take 2 a day during the summer - see my post about being a bite magnet!

agathamorse and lindenlea like this.
  10. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I once saw an allergy consultant who told me that more than one 'one-a-day' was fine and if I'm having a particularly bad day then 3 or 4 will do no harm. I take cetirizine and do take 3 or 4 if I need to.

lindenlea, agathamorse and Marshall like this.
  11. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Cetirizine is my antihistamine and you post makes me feel better as I do sometimes take 3. Thanks!

Sillow, lindenlea and agathamorse like this.
  12. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I can only take Loratidine. Everything else sends me to sleep. I'm in the unlucky minority to be affected that way. I've got a steroid nasal spray now. It's a million times better, though it won't do anything for an insect bite!

I think anti-histamines are only good for bites in the very earliest stages. It sounds nasty. Get it looked at.

My mum once got two huge bites on her back, side by side, that looked like a snake bite. The doctor didn't know what they were but said they were ok as long as they weren't infected. Yours sounds infected.

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Definitely not infected at the moment.

14. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

PS - And don't take them when you are about to drive a car. One of these tablets makes you feel very drowsy indeed. Recommended for a good night's sleep.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I don't see how antihistamine will help.

If you wanted to relieve itching then yes.
    But looking nastier? That has to be infected. I don't see how loratidine or cetirizine will help.

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The antihistamine calms everything down and now its almost gone. Took two over one 24hr period but then went back to one. Now I'm off to a bbq doused in Smidge!

17. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Whoops sorry, wrong thread...

18. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I'm taking antihistimine one a day for a wasp sting, I couldn't take an extra one, however much I want to. I wouldn't make it as far as the bed. I'd fall asleep on the floor half way there!