1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Once a week

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by PierreImport, Jun 7, 2011.

1. PierreImport

PierreImport Administrator

after school, 75 minutes, is the proposed timetable for one of my French classes, Year 8. How can I make a case against it? Ideas gratefully received....

Thanks anyone...

2. PierreImport

after school, 75 minutes, is the proposed timetable for one of my French classes, Year 8. How can I make a case against it? Ideas gratefully received....

Thanks anyone...

3. Can you have Directed Time that is different from that of other staff members?

4. mpc

mpc

75 mins is a very long time for Y8 students - no matter how bright.
    Children will not be at their most effective at the end of the school day (and as for staff, well...)
    Students will start to drop like flies - other commitments, sport, music, you name it.
    Research shows that langs in large doses don't work - wish I could quote you chapter and verse.
    Even you with all your FANTASTIC ideas would struggle to keep a group going.
    What message is your school giving about French by doing this? Not important - reduced to 'an extra'?
    Fight the good fight for the people of Gorseville,
    mpc

5. Is it compulsory for the kids? If not, could be that a few weeks of sloppy attendance on their part could be case enough to abandon the idea. Why does it have to be after school anyway? Aren't the kids a bit miffed about that?

6. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

Kenneth Williams: Oh Matron, I was once a weak man.
    Hattie Jacques: Once a week is enough for any man.

Carry On Matron.

7. Nice try, but one of the most successful schools in the country runs 180 minute lessons!

8. mpc

mpc

In Mod Langs?

9. PierreImport

whoops, I meant to type that this happening in my child's school! (As a teacher, I would refuse to do it!)

10. lifereallyistooshort

lifereallyistooshort New commenter

Hmm. Try this for size, especially paragraph 8.1 on (The spacing effect)

http://web.mac.com/ncellis/Nick_Ellis/Publications_files/CALLPaper.pdf

I've used a few lines from this in arguing the case for "little and often"

11. I think that it COULD work, but only under certain conditions....
    - small numbers
    - pupils selected carefully (e.g. are they all really keen linguists? are they motivated? top ability? etc etc.)
    - it would maybe need occasional intensive slots - like a whole afternoon just for French once every half-term
    - are they using a fast-track textbook? (like the Echo Express books us Germanists use).

I suppose the big question would be the status of this language......
    Why are the school doing it this way? Any ideas?

12. Yep. In all subjects.

13. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

I'd actually like to know...