1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Once a child has left

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by welshwales, Jul 22, 2019.

1. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

Hello wise people. Can anyone clarify something for me? Once a child has left the school, and the parents have no other siblings with us ,so they cease to be a 'parent' at the school, can they ask for a full investigation into a behaviour incident that happened whilst the child was with us [a minor one]?
    Thanks in advance- I know it's a trivial one really..

2. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Umm... I guess so. But you probably shouldn't have any records (cos of GDPR) by which to investigate??

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Yes.

However, at the end of the summer term as you will have run out of 'working days' in which to comply with matters as per your complaints policy.

4. Easyasabc

Easyasabc Occasional commenter

Was the inicident in question dealt with at the time with parents informed and was the child in question the victim or the perpetrator?

If it was a minor incident did it impact in any way on the child's chance of success in final exams?

What do you think is the parents motives for asking for the information now?

Is there a school policy relevant here ?.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Well there's nothing to stop you investigating anything you like. You are the head, you have the legal power and responsibility for the management of the school, including behaviour and discipline, so it's up to you. There's no law saying that you can or that you can't although you'd need to comply with any relevant school polices, but I'd be surprised if you had any specifically covering this scenario.

What you can't do though is impose any disciplinary sanctions on a child who is no longer on the school roll, nor require he or she to come in and be interviewed or co-operate with any investigation. Or (perhaps more to the point - it's a primary school isn't it?) get their parents to co-operate. So (a) is it worth doing anything if you couldn't take any action anyway? and (b) how would you fairly investigate the behaviour incident? Bearing in mind this DfE advice [from the statutory exclusions guidance but applies to any decision about behaviour incidents] how would you carry out an investigation that was "reasonable and fair"?

"Any decision of a school, including exclusion, must be made in line with the principles of administrative law, i.e. that it is: lawful (with respect to the legislation relating directly to exclusions and a school’s wider legal duties, including the European Convention on Human Rights and the Equality Act 2010); rational; reasonable; fair; and proportionate"
    Was it previously investigated or is this the first time it's come to you?

What are the parents hoping to achieve?

It would be different if it was a serious incident that might result in a referral to the LADO or Police but it's a minor incident.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019