1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

On your planning do you have columns for 'More able' and 'Less Able'?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by BrainJim, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Do you state the differentiation in the literacy and numeracy based activities?
    Thanks

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Do you expect to see a load of posts saying that Reception teachers don't differentiate, BrainJim? If so, I think you'll be disappointed.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

My I ask you again what your role is? No offence intended. \\\\\\\i'm just curious -
    a sign of intelligence, in my book. [​IMG]

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry about all those backslashes. This keyboard has a life of its own.

5. I differentiate for each focus activity in whatever area, and differentiate in my questioning and interactions when supporting play.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No we plan for individual needs not labels

7. Msz aren't you Year 2 (I am beginning to think you were moved out of reception against your will. I wonder why).
    Also a bit of a cliche Msz. Do you have enough columns for every child? It would seem sensible to group them. As for 'labels' surely some children are more able at specific things i.e numbers to 20 therefore to differentiate by group would seem a sensible and manageable approach for the class teacher as well as being in the children's interest.

8. Msz

nope I offered because poor year 2 didn't get enough opportunity to play
    oddly enough SOAPy we only have one column

9. And only Msz could put it right!

10. Msz

seems so SOAPy
    I forgot to mention there was no planning from their interests either ...truly shocking

11. Now we know all about Msz's role BJ perhaps you could enlighten [​IMG] us about yours?

12. I work for an orgainisation called EYWatch. I report on educationally dubious practices in the foundation stage. My main source of research is on this very forum where what is actually theory, hearsay, jargon or just plain crackpot nonsense is implemented as if scientific truth.
    Remember I'm watching you

13. Msz

[​IMG]

14. Is that you Msz looking longingly into the reception class all the way from Year 2?

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

Oh so coy. Slippery, one might even say. In a spirit of fairness, I googled EYwatch. If anyone wishes to follow suit, I recommend caution.
    I've revised my thinking about BrianJim. Before that nasty swipe at Msz, which he must know to have been uncalled for, I'd allowed myself to come to believe that he was a useful corrective. Actually, he's a nit-picky little coward who can't even put his cards on the table and tell us why he's so obsessed with EY.

16. Inky worry less about me and instead concentrate on providing a proper education for those children in the foundation stage who seem to spend their time crawling on a carpet from one undemanding activity to another or riding a 3 wheeler bike in the freezing cold while the rest of the school perishes because all the bloody doors are open.

17. Msz

I thought I saw you watching us SOAPy you mean someone else is watching?

No I love Y2 with an EY ethos it's so much easier (no nappies)

18. Suspicious. People don't tend to claim the year group they are working in is easier.

19. Msz

Inky don't worry about me and SOAPy he's just a little prickly
    My claim to fame is I'm on his three most hated posters list

20. yes you were 1st, 2nd and 3rd. You also won the Cut and Paste Award for not bothering to use hyperlinks