1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

On using Carnation Rice Pudding sachets.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by copycat, May 1, 2012.

1. copycat

copycat Occasional commenter

Agree!!
    OH bought some on special offer...straight in bin. Disgusting.

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

The ONLY rice pudding worth eating is homemade with double cream. Yum, yum!

3. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

It was the special offer that lured me in too... how naive!
    In future I will do it properly.

4. Why would you prepare rice pudding other than from raw ingredients? It's far from difficult.
    Ah I see, lured. Well you know the next time.

5. tangerinecat

Lured, lured by the low price and the 5 minute cook time rather than 2 hours.
    I'm a result of the celebrity-want-it-all-now culture, clearly.

6. BelleDuJour

[​IMG]
    That's for a baked rice pud.
    If you make one in a pan, on the hob, it takes 20-25 minutes and is rich, creamy and utterly deelish. Far superior, IMO, to a baked one.

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Whilst I admit that there is nothing superior to a home-made rice pud...and I love both hob and baked varieties!.....I do, very occassionally, enjoy a tin of Ambrosia Rice-Pud....eaten from the tin....I feel so ashamed! (At least this isn't 'Cookery' ....you want tell anyone will you Belle?)

8. BelleDuJour

No. Your secret is safe with me so long as you don't tell anyone my supper last night was a whole tin of Heinz spaghetti in tomato sauce [​IMG]

9. Absolutley agree on that.Once tried, you will never do it in the oven again.

10. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

But what about the skin? Surely you'll not get that on a hob cooked one?

11. No skin is the price of a better tasting rice pudding. It can't be eaten with a knife and fork either.

12. BelleDuJour

Agree. And it's a price well worth paying.
    Sometimes I put a few cooked apricots on top and then brullee the rice pud with softbrown sugar. Oooh.................I am drooling at the thought!

13. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I used to love semolina and also quite liked tapioca for school dinners as a kid. I tried buying tapioca to use with the kids, but noone sells it anymore. That got me thinking about semolina and noone sells that either. I really fancied a bit of nostalgia.
    How do you make rice pudding on the hob then, my last 2 attempts at baked rice pudding was pants and solid as a brick.

14. tangerinecat

I've never done a rice pudding on the hob either. Is it easy to not scald the milk?
    I love baking rice puddings, but am rarely in early enough to get them going.

15. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

According to my daughter, the best rice pudding ever was made in 2010 in the Indonesian rainforest by some hungry, muddy and exhausted British 6th formers, using left-over boiled rice, mixed with several sachets of coffee whitener and some syntheticky 'raspbery' jam.
    [​IMG]

16. I have to speak up for the baked rice pud - it is yummy!
    For quickness, I do often make mine on the hob though. I just use the old 3, 2, 1 rule - 3 oz rice, 2 oz sugar, 1 pint of milk. I usually add a bit of vanilla scratched from a pod. Just bring to the boil and then simmer. Stir now and then to make sure it doesn't catch.
    (P.S. Belle, I had a large tin of Heinz spaghetti hoops for my lunch today ;o))

17. nqt04

nqt04 New commenter

mmc: my Sainsbury's sells both tapioca & semolina. Whipping the egg whites and coating the sides of the pan with caramel make all the difference, IMHO!

18. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

My sainsburys is only small so maybe that is why. Will have to try the bigger one, really craving semolina now!

19. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Sometimes make mine in the slow cooker.

20. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

It has to be baked so you can scrape off the caramelised edges !