1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

On UPS, but jobs only advertised as MPS!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Willsmum79, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Willsmum79

Willsmum79 New commenter

Since the rules about carrying your grade forward to another job, (is this true? It seems that there has been a change and shift away from this!) i have found it extremely difficult looking for another job!

I am UPS and in my county, and neighbouring counties, jobs are only advertised as being MPS or even MPS 1-4! it looks like to further my experience of other schools, I have to take quite a huge salary cut!

Has anyone else managed to apply for MPS jobs but managed to keep their current, UPS salary?

I am not SLT and at the moment (young family) I do not intend to further my career towards SLT. I am part time, and only recently moved to this, but I will consider full time contracts for the right school but even so, I am expected to take a big cut in salary, sometimes as much as £10,000 for jobs I am interested in which is about a good third of my salary!

Hoping someone can come along with some 'fairytale' news that my dilemma is simply non-existent and that it IS possible to find a MPS jobs and be paid my UPS(3) salary!!!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there @Willsmum79 , and welcome to the forum.

Yes, there is no longer Pay Portability.

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

And, yes, if a school advertises MPS1-4, you would not be offered UPS3. Nor even UPS1 or MPS6.

However, jobs advertised as Mainscale may mean two things.

It could mean no UPS, in which case you would have to accept a lower offer if they made it. Or it could be old-style MPS adverts, which meant No TLR. In that case, UPS might be possible, but in no way guaranteed, unless the school accepts Pay Portability.

Applicants on UPS, especially UPS3, must make a very clear case in their application, showing how they are worth the extra money. It's no good just saying that you have experience - everyone on UPS has experience, you must be specific about what it is that you would do that would warrant paying more.

Best wishes

3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

This is one of them cases where you have to weigh up the pros and cons of moving. You have just gone part time, something a lot of people (certainly mums of young children) want. What is your reason for wanting to leave anyway?

Theo knows far more than me, you really really do have to emphisise though why you deserve the extra money. Without getting into a debate on the right and wrongs of the policy, at least you have the opportunity to move on now. Before UPS3 would have been a really limiting factor.