1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

On track to fail

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by rachelcg, Oct 15, 2015.

1. rachelcg

rachelcg New commenter

This September started my third term as an NQT. I completed my first two terms at a school in a different area and I was on track to pass according to them. The support wasn't brilliant in my first school.
    Now I have started at my new school I have been very well supported so far however I have been told that currently I won't pass because of my lack of evidence from my previous school (we didn't have to keep an evidence folder) and that my current teaching is inadequate. They have been giving me plenty of support and have contacted the local area NQT team for further support.
    However I feel completely overwhelmed and almost like there isn't any point in me carrying on. I'm feeling very low and am not sure if I want to stay in the profession anymore. I have had to wait a long time to complete my NQT year as I didn't find a post straight away so I did a year as a supply teacher. I then found a temporary post for a year last year, but was unfortunately very ill during the first term meaning that I couldn't count that term as an NQT term. So I feel like I've put in so much effort for nothing. I feel like I am constantly working, I am the first teacher to get to school in the morning and I'm the last to leave in the evening, I'm then coming home and carrying on working until 10:30/11:00 each night, plus the extra work at the weekends. I just don't know if I can do this.

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

You sound so down :( Do you know why your teaching is considered inadequate, and do you have clear targets for improvement?

3. rachelcg

rachelcg New commenter

Main issues seem to be planning (and in turn teaching), assessment and evidence keeping. My last school was a lot bigger so I had a team to plan with so I think that is partially why I am struggling. I still feel a bit lost even though I'm getting lots of support...

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If there are causes for concern about your teaching then there is a set process that the school need to go through to support you. A clear action plan has to identify the issues and the next steps to improvement.
    Check out the statutory guidance for NQTs- at .gov.uk
    if you have any further concerns do involve the named contact at the appropriate body and also your union for support.
    If there have been weaknesses in the overall n programme then the appropriate body can consider extending the period

needabreak likes this.
  5. rachelcg

rachelcg New commenter

They have contacted the named contact already and someone is coming to see me on Wednesday. I have also contacted my union as I was advised to do so. I have been given clear targets for the next few weeks but my mentor still doesn't seem to give me anything to make me think I will pass at the moment.
    I've been told that an extension seems unlikely. It just so soul destroying to go from being on track in my last school to being the opposite here. I'm following all the advice given to me but it still feels like I'm not going to get there.
    I feel sick every morning coming to school, I dread teaching and talking to others. I cry several times a day. I've been feeling so low that I've made an appointment to see my doctor.

6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Sorry to hear you are feeling so down, I have PM you (or created a conversation or whatever it's now called) o_O hope it helps.

NAB

7. welshwizard

The decision to extend is not made by the school but the appropriate body. See your doctor and sort out your health first before making any further decisions.

8. rachelcg

rachelcg New commenter

I know the decision isn't made by the school, however I don't fit any of the criteria to apply for an extension (I've discussed with my union rep). I'm seeing my doctor on Tuesday so hopefully that may help.

9. welshwizard

The criteria for an extension are
    personal crises
    illness
    disability
    issues around support during induction
    where there is insufficient evidence for the decision to be made that teaching standards are satisfactory

If there was a lack of evidence from your previous school then that would fit the criteria

10. rachelcg

rachelcg New commenter

I've been told (by school, my union and by the county council support rep) that because I had been marked as on track as my last school that the lack of support an evidence there is irrelevant and that it is what has happened since that will give me any grounds for extension which I unfortunately don't fit. I have had to take these last two days of term off because I can't face anything at the moment, I feel physically sick about going to school because of my anxiety. I'm beginning to think more and more about leaving teaching for a break (either in the short or long term)

11. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

Any way you can chuck in the towel and relocate to a more sympathetic and supportive area?

12. rachelcg

rachelcg New commenter

I honestly think I need a break from teaching. I may try and return but at the moment I think I just need to think of what is best for me and my health, if that makes sense?