1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

On this day...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jan 27, 2020.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Just seemed the right day...

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've cried three times so far today because of that man... not ashamed to admit that.

Ruddy inspirational...

Jesmond12, nomad, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

A wonderful man.

Dragonlady30 and caress like this.
  4. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Thank you for posting that. I don't often bother to watch videos but that was well worth it.

nomad, Jamvic and lanokia like this.
  5. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Thanks Lan.

I don't know if a video exists, but the story of Frank Foley is interesting.

nomad and Jamvic like this.
  6. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Second time today I’ve logged into TES and ended up in pieces. Thanks so much for posting that truly inspiring video @lanokia

caress, lanokia and nomad like this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

If the Holocaust had not been industrial but the Germans had murdered at the rate of one Jew every hour of every day. To get to 6 million, they'd still be going. In fact they'd only reach 6 million 600 years from now. The scale of their slaughter is beyond comprehension.

8. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

An extraordinary man, who is an example to us all in his courage to follow through on an action to help mitigate a great wrong.

Funny how many who hold up Winton as an example of British decency (and therefore their own, through self licensing), also support the decision of the current Tory government to reject the Dubs' amendment on the EU Withdrawal Bill, particularly as Dubs was a child saved by Winton.

9. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

That’s got me in floods of tears
    Proof that in order for evil to triumph all it needs is for good men to do nothing.

Thank you sir for doing something

I wonder if our younger contributors feel the same thing or is it a generational feeling?

caress likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not sure how you mean younger.... mid 40s here and it moved me and I agree with your sentiments.

Played it to 6th formers and ... not much of an emotional reaction.

11. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

I am 60 but wonder if our young teachers feel the same way as me or your sixth formers

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Hard to say... but one day it will be like the Cathars, the Huguenot persecutions, the Armenian genocides. It'll be deep history and the rawness and pain of it will have been consigned to books. Not saying I like this... just what it'll be.

Bosnia, Rwanda, Cambodia, ISIS... we've not learned the lessons.

13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Same day my dad was evacuated from Luft III ahead of the advancing Russians too.

He encountered survivors (from several camps) over the next few months in the chaos west of the advancing Russians. Certainly made an impression on him.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  14. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I watched the video yesterday, it was very moving.

15. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

The sight of Boris daring to walk onto the stage after testimony from a child survivor of the Holocaust and speak weasel words only a week after removing the rights of child refugees makes me angrier than I can properly communicate.

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Strangely, Corbyn's contributions didn't go down so well either.

For Ian Austin, a former Labour MP who quit over Mr Corbyn’s leadership, the issue of anti-Semitism and the Holocaust is particularly close to home. His adoptive father was a Jewish refugee who managed to escape the Holocaust and bravely carve out a new life.

Austin said: “It’s easy to speak about racism at a Holocaust commemoration. But their words would have much more weight if the Labour Party had not been poisoned by racism against Jewish people under Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership. He could start to make amends by booting out the racists and apologising for his responsibility for this scandal before he stands down.”

Starmer said he would only be satisfied when former Labour members who left the party because of anti-Semitism felt “comfortable to return”.

17. will_osweighton

will_osweighton Occasional commenter

This is just not true! The rights of refugee children remain unchanged. All that has changed is the realignment of the UK to be able to make its own future policy decisions rather than be mandated to negotiate an agreement with the EU. It's entirely consistent with our imminent status as an independent sovereign nation - and that's all!

"Clause 37 would amend section 17 of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 (‘the 2018 Act’).

Section 17 of the 2018 Act requires the Government to seek to negotiate an agreement with the EU. Such an agreement would aim to facilitate family reunion for unaccompanied children who have claimed asylum in the EU and have a relative in the UK (or vice versa).

Clause 37 would abolish that requirement. Instead, a Government Minister would be obliged to make a single policy statement to Parliament “in relation to any future arrangements” between the UK and EU about these children. The policy statement would have to be laid within two months of the Bill receiving Royal Assent."

https://commonslibrary.parliament.u...-rights-and-the-eu-withdrawal-agreement-bill/

18. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I followed the life of Nicholas Winton after he was revealed on Esther Ranson's programme because he was so extraordinary. There is an organisation which supports the memory of people who did heroic acts supporting Jewish families to escape. Damned if I can remember the name, but I contacted them and received a video of Winton's work, including his horror when the last train disappeared with all the children. I showed the video to my year 11 class who found the whole story very moving.
    Will future generations remember? I hope so.

Nanook_rubs_it and lanokia like this.