1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

On the verge of doing a runner!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Ange_mmm, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Oh God please someone help me!!! My almost 1 year old has done nothing but scream for about 5 days. I'm sure he isn't ill, I have tried calpol and Neurofen in case it's teeth but he still screams. He is screaming right now. It's worst when I put him to bed. He is usually so good and settles himself really well but now as soon as I put him in the cot he starts up.

I am at the end of my tether and everyone I have asked for advIce in the real world is really unhelpful and just says to the baby that they don't believe me. It's so out of character. I have been wondering if it's some kind of separation anxiety but it seems a bit extreme.

We're moving house in 2 weeks and could really do without the extra stress! HELP!

2. Oh God please someone help me!!! My almost 1 year old has done nothing but scream for about 5 days. I'm sure he isn't ill, I have tried calpol and Neurofen in case it's teeth but he still screams. He is screaming right now. It's worst when I put him to bed. He is usually so good and settles himself really well but now as soon as I put him in the cot he starts up.

I am at the end of my tether and everyone I have asked for advIce in the real world is really unhelpful and just says to the baby that they don't believe me. It's so out of character. I have been wondering if it's some kind of separation anxiety but it seems a bit extreme.

We're moving house in 2 weeks and could really do without the extra stress! HELP!

3. ((((Ange)))) - not sure what I can say that would help. Does your LO scream when other people are with him / put him down for sleep/naps?
    I guess if it continues (and 5 days seems a long time from having been a contented baby to a screamer so suddenly) a trip to the doctors might be in order. The only problem with that is that if they can't see anything physically wrong, they might just say he's a fussy baby,or that it might be teeth, or it might be a cold etc - i.e. nothing concrete and to get you out of their surgery asap. Has he had anything different to eat that might have caused a prolonged upset? Has he recently started drinking lots of cows milk?
    It must be incredibly stressful so plenty of walks, breathing exercises to try to calm yoursef down before you tear your hair out, literally!
    x

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I bet he has something like an hearing infection.

5. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My mum said my brother had an ear infection as a baby and it was awful, so that could be a possibility.
    I would definitely go to the doctor though.
    My son (who is 2) was really upset the other week and refusing bed as he had some back teeth coming through. He got really upset when we went out too, which is unlike him. Calpol did help though.

6. Is he too hot? Make sure the window is open in the room and just have him in a vest to sleep. It has been really hot and muggy this last week (where I am) and my children have been more unsettled especially at night as a result. Just a thought...
    Children have an amazing 'sixth' sense and he has probably picked up that something is changing in the house and it may in fact be related to the fact that you are moving house and things are changing, being packed up etc. I moved house when one of mine was 1 and it helped to keep an area unchanged in the house for them while we were packing up and that got packed up last and unpacked first in the new house to keep some consistency.
    I really hope you have a better day today, but if not, I'd take him to the doctor for a check to rule out other things.
    Sending calming thoughts....

7. We went through something similar a while back when LO was about 11 months. It was at the end of term, I was knackered, OH wasn;t well, and LO decided to go from a happy go lucky contened thing to being a boy who would scream any time he went near the cot, would fight the sleep, would squeal and squeal. I kept putting it down to teeth as there had been plenty of lower gum poking and I was hitting the calpol and nurofen pretty often (for him, not me!).

I ended up so shattered we resorted to going to sleep with him in our bed each night - he went out like a light and slept really soundly. It was a bad habit to start and I've had to spend the summer hols correcting it, but we're getting there. It worked for me and OH to get soem sleep. We took turns sleeping on the sofa (oh why did he get rid of the spare bed before LO came!)
    Basically, I would have done anything for a good night's sleep. I dreaded the evenings as I knew what it would bring. Now it's not so bad, we're back into going into the cot (albeit, asleep) and he's waking up between 2 and 4 times a night, up at 6 (gah!) but we all feel so much better.

Separation anxiety has kicked in bigtime since then. Any time I leave the room there's squealing, even if he's left with his dad who he loves. When OH gets in from work, sticks his head round the door to say hello to us, then nips upstairs to the loo, there is big fat tears rolling down LO's cheeks. Doesn;t matter if you keep talking to him, if he sees you leave he goes nuts. It doesn;t seem so bad if he's the one leaviong thought!

I would take him to the docs, even if they do just say it's teething or separation anxiety, at least you could rule out the ear infection or anything more serious.

Holy moley, I just found LO grinning with a penny in his mouth. Heart attack for mummy!

8. Thanks for your responses. I've made an appointment at docs. The thing is when I'm paying him attention he's fine so that leads me to think it's more separation related. He could well be picking up on my stress as it seemed to coincide with us starting packing.
    We banished him from our bed quite a while ago and now he will only sleep in his cot. He thinks it's playtime if he comes in now. I don't mind though as I never got any sleep when he was in with us!

9. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Is there someone who could give you a break? Agree with others about doc. Have to admit lknew lots of kids who went through phases like this, but not usuallyuntil older.
    But your stress may be affecting him. When my OH was going through a bad sit, our kid was unusually tearful, though I tried not to let it affect me, he knew.

10. Are you okay?
    I would definately say go to the doctor - an ear infection seems a possibility. My little one has a temperature and has spend the whole day crying and sitting on my lap, so I know how you feel!
    Don't worry, he will be okay, but for peace of mind get it checked out - you could always go to a walk in clinic over the weekend, they are v good.
    B

11. When mine was like that it turned out (at 4am at the out-of-hours doctor) to be ear-ache. When
    my LO is off colour I get to a point where it's worth giving in for a bit of peace, so don't let yourself get down about watching more cbeebies that usual or whatever helps, I also find going to the charity shop and buying some hideous noisey plastic toys for novelty value for a few days was a useful distraction then promptly gave them back when he was better.

12. I like the charity shop toys idea. He is 1 in 2 weeks so I haven't got him any new toys for ages in preparation. Anyway I took him to the doctor and she was very lovely to me. She couldn't find anything physically wrong with him. She did pick up a flow murmur when she listened to his heartbeat so we have to go again this week to get it checked. My niece had one until she was 2 so I think it's quite common. Anyway, the little man seems a bit more settled now thank goodness and I sent him to his nanna and grandad yesterday for a few hours so I had a break. Babies eh!