1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

On Supply and job seeking?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by anon2047, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I wonder if anyone can help? How does it work if you take on a long term supply position and then get the chance oof a job or see jobs that you want to apply for? Do you have to finish the supply term or can you just leave?
    Many thanks
    Jaime

2. Hi,
    I wonder if anyone can help? How does it work if you take on a long term supply position and then get the chance oof a job or see jobs that you want to apply for? Do you have to finish the supply term or can you just leave?
    Many thanks
    Jaime

3. it would be a bit difficult if an interview came up just after starting, but explain the situation and a reasonable head would let you attend an interview. If you are not under contract they could dock your pay and pay another supply instead, if they are paying under contract, most likely a TAwould step in.

4. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Keep applying whilst on supply. Jobs do not come up that often that you want to apply for. If you get an interview JUST GO FOR IT. Often the positions do not start until a new term start so you should be fine to complete what you have committed to. However, if its a 'start as soon as possible' position and you are offered the position permanently.... TAKE IT. SUPPLY v PERMANENT. Permanent has precedence and your current employer should understand. If they don't then ask them if they are prepared to give you a permanent job???
    Good Luck

5. Hi,
    Thanks for your quick replies! It is a possible start after Christmas for two terms, but i wouldn't want to take it and then have to turn down the chance of permanent positions. I have never done supply before and am not with an agency - this is a word of mouth thing. I don't want to jeapordise my chances of some work against a possible permanent position. I qualified this year and have had nothing so far. What do you mean by contract?
    I am also concerned about time limits etc and the fact that they can just get rid of you.
    Thanks again Jaime .

6. catherine_ann

catherine_ann Occasional commenter

My advice would be to take the supply for two terms and in the mean time I would actively job-seek for a 'dream' job starting in September. This would then mean that you have some experience after your training and would look good for prospective employers.
    In terms of supply, I was very nervous at the prospect. but I've found that I really enjoy it and get lots out of doing it. I feel that it has prepared me well for interviews and I have gained lots of knowledge working with a wide range of individuals.
    A contract would work out as a tempoary full time position for two terms where you would work under teachers pay and conditions, whereas supply is paid at the end of the week and can be terminated at any time. You could negociate a ontract with the right employer.
    Good luck in what you decide.

7. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

If you are employed as a supply you are only paid for the days you work and there is no legal obligation for either party on how long you work there for. For example if its not working out for same reason you could just walk out one morning and never return likewise the school could tell you not to bother returning the following day.
    But if all is going well (and thats normally the case) the school will hang on to you for as long as they need you (not sure how AWR will effect this) and assume you are turning up every day unless you have told them otherwise.
    A decent school will appreciate that you are looking for other positions or have other commitments and provided you give as much notice as possible allow days off for this. Also decent schools will keep you informed how long they think the placement will last as far as they know (ie has the position been filled/absent teacher signed off sick leave etc), its also polite to give the school some notice if you intend leaving to give them chance to find a replacement. The advantage of supply is that if you are stuck in a poor school you can get out anytime.
    With a contracted post you have agreed to work for a determined time period, have to negotiate for days off and cannot leave at anytime. Not a problem if things are going well but a bit of a prison sentence if stuck in the school from Hell.

8. Thank you very much for the informative and quick responses, i understand the difference between the two now.
    I see your point and have been in a situation like that where i was stuck!
    Many thanks
    Jaime

9. I got an interview offered to me and the next day was told about a two week supply job - which i took on. I just told the school and the agency i needed to go to an interview on that date. Remember this is your career so if they dont like it dont worry - go to the interview as thats most important.

My agency just got another supply teacher in for that one day. It doesnt cost them any more.
    AJ