1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

On sick leave, do I have to go back before half term to get paid?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by d2148j, Jan 24, 2012.

1. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

Ok ladies and gents. I have a prolapsed disc which is pressing on sciatic nerve (I am also 27weeks pregnant). I have been off work for the last 2 weeks (one self certifying and one with sick note). I was back at gp yesterday and have been signed off for another fornight. This would mean going back on the Tuesday before half term. I have just been for my first physio appointment and she doesn't think I should be going back till after half term (would then leave me a half term to get through before maternity leave) but if I am signed off for another fornight night does this mean I won't get paid for Half term or not? DH and I are both teachers and neither of us is sure. I knew about having to go back in for first day after a holiday to ensure illness not counted as over the holidays but what is the position on sick leave?
    I'm currently in agony and tbh very glad I am not having to contend with ofsted who are in today/tomorrow but if I am not going to be paid for the holiday then I'll have to go back. Help please.

2. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

Ok ladies and gents. I have a prolapsed disc which is pressing on sciatic nerve (I am also 27weeks pregnant). I have been off work for the last 2 weeks (one self certifying and one with sick note). I was back at gp yesterday and have been signed off for another fornight. This would mean going back on the Tuesday before half term. I have just been for my first physio appointment and she doesn't think I should be going back till after half term (would then leave me a half term to get through before maternity leave) but if I am signed off for another fornight night does this mean I won't get paid for Half term or not? DH and I are both teachers and neither of us is sure. I knew about having to go back in for first day after a holiday to ensure illness not counted as over the holidays but what is the position on sick leave?
    I'm currently in agony and tbh very glad I am not having to contend with ofsted who are in today/tomorrow but if I am not going to be paid for the holiday then I'll have to go back. Help please.

3. Depending on how long you have taught for you get x amount of time on full pay, then it goes to half pay. If you've taught for 4 years or more, its 6 months on full pay, so yes you would be more than fine and will be paid for half term and a looooong time afterwards. (not sure what the allowance is if you've taught for less than that, but its still more than 2 weeks I believe! :) Sure someone will come along and let you know the other timings, or just google 'Teachers Sick Pay' and you should get the details, theres info on all the unions' websites)
    You just need to be covered by a GP 'fit to work' note, so will need to pop back when the other one runs out and get a new one.
    Try not to stress :)

4. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

This is my 6th year (3rd with this LA). Thanks, was worried i'd have to go back. Physio doesn't think i'll be going back but not sure if they can do the 'fit note' or if it will be another trip to the gp.

Thank you for your help though.

5. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

whether you need a fit note depends on what the sick note says, if the doc has ticked the "I don't need to see you" (or whatever it says) then when the note runs out you either get another one or go back to work, if the doc has ticked "I need to see you" (or whatever it says) then you need a fit note.
    If your sick note runs over the hols, you should be paid for the hols (assuming you haven't used up all your sick leave)

6. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

the sick not runs out the week before half term so will have to go back to gp as it didn't say 'need to see you again' but it is the physio who doesn't think i'll be going back. With my back and MW appointments i'm spending a lot of time at the blooming doctors.

7. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

sounds like it's time to look after yourself and put your feet up!
    Can they make you start your leave early if the sickness is connected to the pregnancy?

8. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

they can make you start it from 4weeks before you are due 36weeks but according to the phsyio this has nothing to do with being pregnant so they shouldn't be able to start my leave (which is due to start on my due date). She actually thinks it will help it. As bump grows it will force by back to arch into the postion I need to get to in order to 'pop' the disc back.
    TBH I'm going out of my mind. can't do much round house (have had friends shopping and cleaning up) and generally feeling fed up.

9. As I am on currently on long term sick leave I have done a fair bit of research into pay over recent months based on what you have said about the length of time you have being teaching and working for LA and the assumption you work full time this is how I would understand your pay will work
    your yearly sick pay allowance runs from 1st April to 31st march so depending on how many sick days you have had up to now would effect the following
    you are paid 100 working days full pay which includes any sick days since april 1st 2011
    holidays are not counted towards these 100 days so you are still paid as normal, the reason i understand for this is because unlike when you work for the private sector you cant take your holidays at another time. ie when you are fit to return to work.
    after the 100 days you are then paid 100 days half pay plus ssp, again the holidays during this time do not count towards these 100 days but are paid at the half pay rate also
    you are also quite right you can not be made to start your maternity leave until 4 weeks before your due date, however not sure of situation if absence within 4 weeks is not pregnancy related you may still be allowed sick pay!
    Incidently my friend who had a baby last june suffered the same disc problem however her's didn't correct itself so is having a relatively straightforward operation in march to fix the problem,

hope this helps and i have explained it ok