1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

On sick absence, want to leave

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MrsTarvin, Feb 9, 2016.

1. MrsTarvin

MrsTarvin New commenter

I've been on long term sick leave since early November due to anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder. I won't go into the details but it is due to something traumatic that happened to me some years ago. Then in November I had a car accident which triggered a bit of a mental break down. Previously I was extremely stressed and struggling with my ridiculous time table.

My HT knows all the details and is being supportive but I just can't imagine going back. I'm medically not fit yet, but I also just can't imagine going back. I have lost all of my confidence and I am fearful of going back to the stress and havoc that teaching brings to my life. It's not just a preference, I really feel that mentally I can't do it as I can barely go to the shops alone, let alone be responsible for 30 children at a time.

So I want to leave.. But don't know the best way to go about it. I have an OH meeting tomorrow. Part of me just wants to tell them that I can't imagine teaching again and hope for dismissal. If I just hand my notice in will I have to go back into school? I just know that I can't teach anymore in any school.

Advice please?

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Sorry to hear that things are so difficult for you.

Rather than just resign, you need to talk to your union about the right approach.

Much will depend on whether your mental health conditions are capavble of amounting to a disability under Equality Act 2010. If that is the case, then absence that is a direct result of a disability should be treated differently than a 'normal' sickness absence.

So much will depend on the prognosis and diagnosis. If you were able to have a referral to occupational health and an assessment by a psychiatrist, it may be that the opinion is that you will be well enough to return in the future.

The nature of psychological injury (especially depression and PTSD) is that you can never imagine ever feeling more confident and capable than you do now. There are many of us (including me) who can attest to that. Yet, people can and do recover and you may regret then making a rash decision now.

wanet likes this.
  3. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

This is so absolutely true, if only it were possible to take a sabbatical of sorts, allow yourself ample time to recover and then look at what you want. You really will find that the world looks different once you're well again - and wellness will come back!

4. diamondjane

diamondjane Occasional commenter

Hello MrsTarvin
    Sorry to hear of your difficulties. Just wanted to tell you that my own long term sick leave with wrs started in early November 2014 and like you in February 2015 I just desperately wanted to walk away and never go back. However people advised me not to, so I remained off sick and didn't make the decision to leave until after Easter, handing my notice in by May. I would have been able to remain off sick on full pay throughout the notice period until 31st August. As it happened I went back on a phased return for the last part of the summer term but that was my choice.
    I hope this may encourage you to take your time over whatever decision you come to. Even though you currently feel that you can never teach again, you really don't have to walk away just yet.
    Best wishes

wanet likes this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's a very helpful post @diamondjane . I hope that things are now going really well for you.

Best wishes

wanet likes this.