1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

On my own- advice please

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Hopeful25, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Hopeful25

Hopeful25 New commenter

Hi all, thanks for your ongoing support. I have made the decision to leave my current place of work as the thought of returning makes me feel horrendous. However, as I have missed the deadline, my union have said I am on my own to approach the school about this as I am asking them a favour. While understandable, it is very daunting. I have a meeting with the school next week and was hoping I could ask for any advice on broaching this properly with them (they know I have been considering it), and the subject of a reference (just dates would more than suffice, and I will need it). Also, do you think I should wait for the meeting to say it outright, or put it in an email/phone call prior to it? I am also wondering whether I should try to get an earlier meeting as I am very conscious that the sooner it is done, the better for all involved. Anything I think of that I think needs to be said, I'm going to write down so I have a script for myself as back up.

Thanks for reading and for any advice.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Are you still signed off?

One option might be to write a resignation letter, along the lines of
    "I am writing to resign my post, in line with my contract, with effect from 30th April 2020. However, as I cannot currently foresee when I will feel well enough to return to work, I would be willing to discuss an earlier end to the contract if this would suit the school. Perhaps we could discuss this at next week's meeting."

Although you say are asking them for a favour, if you're likely to be signed off for much of next term, then you'll be doing them the favour by going earlier. Otherwise they'll be paying you and the supply teacher.

Pomza, phlogiston, TheoGriff and 12 others like this.
  3. madcatlady

madcatlady Occasional commenter

I think frustrum offers good advice. I was going to suggest something similar emailed before the meeting - it allows a couple of days for people to discuss it and come up with solutions before seeing you.

phlogiston, TheoGriff and agathamorse like this.
  4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

My union rep phrased something similar to "Since Miss Hardy is still unwell, I wish to ask you to consider releasing Lil from her contract effective from December 31st. I feel this would be of mutual benefit."

They said yes.

TheoGriff, ViolaClef, Piranha and 5 others like this.
  5. Hopeful25

Hopeful25 New commenter

Thanks for all your messages. The meeting went very well :). I'm happy with the outcome.

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Excellent news.

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

That's good. Good luck with getting better and finding a more civilised workplace.