1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

On moving h part 3 - there's no way that van will be large enough.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

As I type, the house we have lived in for the past seven years is almost bare. There remains a king size mattress on the floor to spend the night on, odds and sods which include a large tank of fish and things the pets need, a kettle and cups for morning coffee, the dog and cat of course, and I hope, sufficient clothes to don in the morning. Oh that and a fridge crammed to the hilt, I only discovered after I opened it to see if we still owned any milk.

The remainder of what makes a home a home is in a large van parked on the drive. How it all managed to fit in would tax anyone's imagiation. I am indebted to my friend who runs a trucking business that this was ever possible. When he heard we were moving, he said if he could assist in any way, just ask and as he knows more than most about moving stuff, I asked if he could advise where to get a van and man who wouldn't cost the earth. He asked for a moving date and said leave it with him.

Well, as it happens, I received an email asking what there was to move, and having replied, had a conversation with my last secretary who told me that everything was sorted. Three guys would turn up today with a van to load up and others would turn up tomorrow to complete the move. When I asked what it was going to cost me, she said, don't worry, you've done your mate more than enough favours.

Well when the van turned up, so did a guy in a in a small Volkswagen van laden with stuff that only expert truckers would have in abundance. The guy driving it would win, if such a thing exists, the world championship in Tetris. He had a quick look at what we own and what we'd packed in boxes, of which there were a myriad, then set to to organise the way the van needed to be loaded. I can tell you that if a migrant escaped from one of my friend's trucks and tried to hitch a lift in this van, he would die from oxygen starvation by the morning, for such is it so tightly packed, I doubt a fly could get in.

There live among us geniuses, who wouldn't know which way up to hold a certificate. Thank god they exist.Thank god some fail the education system and end up as truck drivers, because believe me, without geniuses like these our world would grind to a halt.

He assured me the space left will be adequate to fit the mattress in. I can't see it, but his colleagues told me if he says it's possible, it's possible.

I'm knackered, despite most of the work was done by others. I predict being knackered tomorrow too. We dined in the pub tonight since we don't have a stick of furniture to sit on nor a utensil to cook with. My sweetheart has plans to do similarity tomorrow if her pension runs to it. It's all good fun.

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Good luck with the move, both.

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Moving is just such an upheaval and stressful time. I do hope the rest of it goes well with no unwelcome hitches. Wishing yo and your Duchess many years of happiness in the new home.

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Thank you Rosie. New home, New life, and as it happens, New job too. You're never too old to experience a new life, are you, if you fancy it?

Stupid tablet ccomputer keeps changing what I type and I'm fed up with editing it.

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Good luck, fella!!!

We complete on Thursday. I am at my wits' end with it. Hence being up at 04:30 rather than tossing and turning.

I don't even work so I have no excuse for being stressed. But it's been months to tie everything together. Months. Five. And I'm relying now on mobile wifi which is somewhat (shall I say with steam coming out of my ears) UNRELIABLE.

Good luck!

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Exciting! Good luck today and for your new life. Our move 3 years ago was the best thing we ever did. Just lucky really.

7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Make up the bed when you get to your new place and try to make one room look more or less habitable. Even if boxes are piled high somewhere, it doesn't feel so bad if you can escape the chaos somewhere.

Make sure you have access to the kettle etc at all times and get a takeaway tonight, or go to the pub again.

Three moves in the last four years taught me a lot!

8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Moving house tends to be like that. B*gger all happens for months followed by a mad scramble to get everything packed up and moved out.

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

IF i ever move I am letting some one else pack it ALL.

Ill just move my allotment stuff..thats got to be 2 van loads!

10. grumpydogwoman

We've got a firm to do the packing, the moving and the unpacking the other end. I think I'd....well, I just don't know how I'd cope with packing. It's bad enough taking a suitcase on holiday.

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Have you got a date gdw? Moving far? NSE or W? Upsizing or otherwise? House moves make great spectator sports I think. Please feel free to ignore my nosiness if you'd rather.

12. grumpydogwoman

Ha ha! You're welcome, lindenlea. The Lands of the Middle! So neither NSE or W!

You want to see meltdown? It could be spectacular. I think I'm resigned to everything going wrong. Probably easier that way.

Anyone else? Might as well make a day of it!

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well good luck to you anyway. Fresh starts are often wonderful.

14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Grumpy- don't leave out clean clothes etc anywhere visible for the moving day. I speak from experience! My clean knickers disappeared into a box before I had time to turn round. Those removal people are all over everything like a rash if you're not careful.

If there's anything you want to take yourself, make sure you put that somewhere safe too. I always take my jewellery and crafty things in my car.

Makings for tea/coffee are essential. Moving people drink more than anyone I've seen! They must have steel bladders too!

15. grumpydogwoman

Thank you, ft and ll.

Yes, the wife has her box and I have mine for things we don't want touched. Best knickers could go there. Then there's the tea, kettle, spoons etc etc. 'Phone charger in case I need to make a lot of calls.

Luckily we're going less than half a mile and our new house is already empty so I'm hoping for lack of incident. Relatively speaking. And our cleaner will help us.

The one thing I must do is sort a plan for the cat. Got to have a think about that.

16. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Don't you have to find some way of keeping the cat indoors in the new place until hope/she gets used to it?

Enjoy your new houses grumpy and D o Y.

17. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Good luck with the move and enjoy your new homes to both DoY and GDW!

GDW - having moved our cat several times, including to South Africa and back, easily the simplest option we found was the cat went to a cattery / secure room with a litter tray and all mod cons at a friend's house while we moved for two or three days.

Once we were more or less unpacked, and more importantly the front door no longer needed leaving open all day, she came back to us and was kept in for a while until settled in the new home.

It seemed to work.

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

This may not suit you, but what we did (we have two cats) is this: I took the cats and a blow up bed etc. to the new house the night before the move. We camped out and the cats got to sniff every corner of the house at leisure. I took cat food, all the pet beds, cat litter tray and blankies with us. Like that they have familiar smells and the luxury of at least 16hrs to get used to things BEFORE all the chaos happens when the stuff turns up. Moving home is very distressing for pets. We then kept them in for 2 weeks . . . . various advice about this online with anywhere tween 2 and 3 weeks being suggested. For our latest house move we only kept them in for a week as it's very safe (little to no traffic) AND due to the topography, little chance of them getting lost.

19. grumpydogwoman

Ooh, I just wanted to apologise for hijacking Duke's thread. And to hope Duke is happily enjoying his first weekend in his new home.

My plan for the cat is this. We move. This house goes quiet. We're not letting the new folks complete until the next day. We go back to the empty house for a quick clean. Cat comes in for food. She always scarpers when anyone comes round - even little kids - but comes right back.

I then cat-carry her to the new house (less than half a mile) and crate her for a week. She knows the crate. When we rescued her she lived in it for a while after an operation and didn't want to come out! It's really big.

She's not a wanderer so I don't think she'd toddle off but I will have to be careful.

20. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I'm sure that will work well, GDW.

It's not so much deliberately running off but getting spooked, scarpering and then finding themselves lost.

We watched our cat do a circuit of the house in South Africa when first allowed out, looking in every window. We think she was matching the outside to what she knew of the inside.