1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

On having a partner with diametrically opposed political views to yours.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Would you regard that as a good thing? Ying and Yang and stuff like that. How would you cope, or indeed, how do you cope when any conversation about the news is a challenge? Are the conversations about who should the washing up more fraught than they would be in a household that holds similar political views?

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

That's marriage. I pull my forelock and go " 's m'm".

kibosh likes this.
  3. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

It's a right ****** trying to chop vegetables/carve joints here...he's removed all the sharp implements

racroesus likes this.
  4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

my wife's comment is 'all politicians are Wa***ers'.Well they might be if men....but she listens to what is said then comes out with this statement.LOL
    As one can imagine talks on politics go down well in my house lol
    Then again she is the opinionated one in may areas .wel maybe not knitting as she listens carefully in such matters.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I don't have such problems

6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Political orientation was one of the few things my ex and I had in common.

racroesus likes this.
  7. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

I suspect it all depends on whether the rest of the relationship works - if it does, opposing views probably don't matter; if there are problems in the relationship then the differences will exacerbate these problems.

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I don't see how it is possible. I think political tendencies are innate in character, so opposites wouldn't work. Indifference might.

kibosh likes this.
  9. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

When we first started going out, my husband told me that he was gonna vote BNP. I dumped him immediately and he had to work hard to convince me that it had been a joke. There are a lot of people in his group of friends from school who are very right wing and quite openly racist and homophobic (typical working class Ukippers really) and I quite often end up having rows with them when we're out. I couldn't be dealing with that in my everyday life, so while me and Mr Ork disagree on some things, we have pretty similar core values and basic morals.

kibosh likes this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Core values. Don't see how a long-term relationship could ever work. Not possible. Not workable.

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Similar core values although he comes out with some **** sometimes.

kibosh and Noja like this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

I know. We share core values. Except I'm a pacifist. But that's a good thing because, being a pacifist, I'm not going to come to blows with anyone who doesn't agree with me! ;)

kibosh likes this.
  13. Cantandmorecant

Cantandmorecant Lead commenter

I think a relationship would be very difficult with completely opposite views and values. It would cause too much friction.

14. grumpydogwoman

Since I ignore (or rather 'ignore') people on TES with whom I sense I'm severely (or even moderately) at odds I can hardly imagine striking up a relationship with such a person with a view to finding lurrrrve.

15. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

The ex and I agreed on most things I suppose politically - he purported to hold quite extreme views but I was never convinced he was going to be any kind of "eco warrior" etc. However we were extremely divided on the subject of Israel. It wouldn't have been an issue as my attitude was not to discuss the topic but he - especially when getting quite drunk, loved nothing better than to look for a row. So I would not recommend that.
    I did quite smile at his being made to feel pretty unwelcome when we visited the women's camp at Greenham Common :)

16. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

As posters can easily imagine, living with me means you come to agree with all my views. It's simply inevitable.

...now all I have to do is to persuade her to admit it.

kibosh likes this.
  17. grumpydogwoman

Ah, your imaginary wife, Eury? ;)

18. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Leave her out of it please Grumpy.

19. grumpydogwoman

Well, m'dear, it was you who introduced her. Unless you were referring to the cat's mother?

20. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

No, it was you actually!