1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

On food safety

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Apr 21, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

There has been some controversity in the news overthe amount of food waste recently. All about sell by dates and so on. Like many posters have previously expressed, my view has been that if it smells ok.you're in with a chance, and the fact I'm still posting ought to be a testimony to this.
    However, I'm not an expert.
    Some years ago I recall lapin posted something about the dangers of keeping cooked rice, which many of us would otherwise view as relatively harmless. Since then, I've been cautious, letting the dog enjoy what's left. I'd love her to repea her knowledge.
    I watched The last episode of Filthy Cities today describing how how New Yorkers were subjected a century ago and later to toxic additives in their sausages to make rotting meat acceptable in their hot dogs.
    Are we too fussy these days? Should we be more fussy?

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I could post reams on food safety, but the essential information lies in knowing that food poisoning bacteria do not change the smell, taste or appearance of the food, that's why they're so ndangerous. They multiply and produce toxins about every 10-20 mins, especially in temperatures in the range of 5-65C.
    Basically the Use by dates are the ones that should be followed to ensure you don't poison yourself or anyone else. Now I have used beef and lamb after these dates, but never chicken or fish.
    Yes there has been a lot of confusion about the dates, veg you don't need use by dates as it's not a high risk food, milk and cream go off anyway, yoghurt is fine.
    Store meat, fish, dairy products in the fridge ie below 5C, keep meat on the lower shelf do cross-contamination doesn't occur. Rice fine if you cool it quickly but if kept warm for a long time bacillus cereus can develop, if present. BTW mm are you trying to give your dog fp?

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Fish is not nice to eat unless it's very fresh, so I always buy fish that looks and smells spankingly fresh and eat it within 24 hours.
    Chicken and pork - if it's beyond the use by date and smells okay, I use a meat thermometer to check the inside temperature of roasted meat - aiming for 70-71 degrees C, so that it will still be moise but any bacteria will have been killed. I've started doing this for pork and chicken whenever I do a roast recently - most reliable way of getting perfectly cooked meat, I find.
    Lamb, beef and duck - not too concerned as long as it smells okay and the exterior has had a good blast of heat.
    Veg and fruit - if it's not rotten or shrivelled it gets eaten
    Rice - tend to cook small portions so don't often have leftovers - any we do have get cooled and used to make bread.
    Cheese - can last an age, just scrape the mould off and eat it!

I think what's caused a lot of confusion is the existence of sell by dates alongside use by dates. I personally believe that sell by dates should be abolished.