1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

On depressing grey gloomy days what do you look forward to?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Maybe you make the best of a bad job and are jolly despite the dull weather. I like to dream of days in the hot sunshine by a pool, reading a good book and swimming in the blue water. Today in S London the sky is dull as ditchwater.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sunny, happy days...

Getting home and being with my wife.

cuteinpuce likes this.
  3. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I'm currently cursing the weather gods.
    For once the ever-present strong winds have died here but they have been replaced with grey skies, mist and drizzle.
    Conditions that also preclude me from indulging in my latest hobby

5. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

That takes me back to my hippy days when all letters (written on home-made banana paper, of course, and so almost impossible to write legibly on) were signed "Peace, blue skies and love".

lanokia likes this.
  6. crockedpot

crockedpot New commenter

I plan my summer camping trips!

InkyP and lanokia like this.
  7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

In North Wales it is currently precipitating heavily, but on the bright sunny days there is lots of lovely countryside less than ten minutes away. Soon it will be spring (I have already seen hawthorn in leaf, and my dafs and crocuses are up) and all the cute spring lambs (aka chops-on-legs) will be bouncing around. Still, enough with the rain already!

Lascarina likes this.
  8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

But are you looking forward to anything?

9. marlin

marlin Star commenter

My daffodils are in full bloom!

I like to be snug inside and listen to the rain on the window. If I don't have to go out I don't mind the rain.

cissy3 and ValentinoRossi like this.
  10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I only have a few snowdrops and even they are looking a bit shocked by the change from the temperate winter to a few nights of frost.

I woke up this morning to the sound of rain which I find oddly soothing, especially when I know I don't have to go anywhere. It's still wintery enough that I welcome ANY daylight, even the watery grey stuff. I've been looking out at the garden and looking forward to being able to get out there and trim and tidy the mess winter has left.

cissy3 likes this.
  11. ah3069

ah3069 Occasional commenter

Dinner, I always look forward to dinner

Noja, Sillow, Flere-Imsaho and 2 others like this.
  12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I seem to have had endless spells of being under the weather since the autumn, and the last two weeks have been no exception. I'm just looking forward to being infection-free and having normal energy levels again.

When I'm feeling like this I do like rooting through endless satellite channels and watching past editions of "A Place in the Sun". I've honestly no desire to have a place abroad, but I really enjoy accompanying the prospective purchasers on their voyage of discovery.

Lascarina likes this.
  13. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Get well soon, @smoothnewt .
    I find this type of light quite good for painting. Apart from that I hate it, and sometimes feel quite depressed by it. Still, it's only weather. Might buy a SAD lamp.

smoothnewt likes this.
  14. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

To answer the question though, I have a couple of things to look forward to, hurray! And a few projects to keep me occupied.

smoothnewt and Lascarina like this.
  15. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Didactylos has got one of those;) Perhaps he'd let you have a go of it.

16. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

17. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Today, I'm looking forward to some friends arriving for dinner and an overnight stay. They'll be here for 5pm, in time for the rugby. I've spent the morning cleaning and there are fluffy, white towels in their bedroom. I thought about including little bottles of shower gel and shampoo, but it's not a hotel.
    My pavlova base is lying replendently, awaiting lashings of whipped cream, strawberries and chocolate shavings and I'm about to get cracking with a boeuf bourguignon. This will simmer for hours in a slow cooker so that the meat will be very tender - I hope! Shallots and mushrooms to be fried and added near the end. Will try not to get inebriated. Tiddly will be alright but disastrous while cooking.

InkyP and marlin like this.
  18. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Normally I'd deal with the gloom by stuffing my face but since I'm now officially On A Diet, even that small pleasure is denied me.

19. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Oh, Dun, I couldn't be doing with all that cooking and preparation and I haven't got a white towel in the house. You are the entertainer par excellence!

lindenlea and Dunteachin like this.
  20. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

On Slimming World you can stuff your face enough to make you feel full.