1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

On buying food in M&S

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon1165, Apr 2, 2011.

1. I have just had my "Hoisin Duck and Noodles" and it was absolutely delicious (and I wasn't feeling hungry, more like eating out of duty). I can see what you mean about the portions though... (although I always find WW portions very small, too, which in turn make me wonder if I am eating more than is normal :) )
    I didn't think of this and you are right... :(
    It's the same here, I had to drive. I didn't mean to say poor people should go to M&S, but rather that places like Netto should stop selling ****.

2. But the basis of Netto existing is cheap food. Cheap food is ****. If they sold better food it wouldn't be cheap and people would not shop there.

3. As I tell Mr L on at least a weekly basis "There's a reason it's cheap."

4. I wuite often buy fruit at M and S, as it is really not any more expensive than tesco, and of a much higher quality than tesco.
    We don't have the stores you are talking about here in Northern Ireland - Netto, Aldi, Morrisons - so can't compare.

5. Good point. I try to eat healthily and cook from fresh produce, but it's EXPENSIVE to do that. Think...four ready meals for a fiver in many supermarkets..or a panful of home-made soup which will feed four-six people. A lot of extra effort/electricity/time and dirty pans goes into doing it from fresh. It tastes better though and there is the satisfaction of knowing the food you feed your family is healthy. I buy fresh veg for soups (which I tend to make often) and recently the onions, peppers, squash, carrots, creme fraiche and herbs I bought cost a lot more than a fiver! One blinkin' pepper is almost £1 now! Mushrooms cost a fortune!
    I have to shop around because I have a small income these days and I suppose because I do think of nutrition a lot I make sensible choices in cheap supermarkets. My nearest Lidl is wonderful and veg and fruit are much cheaper there although bananas might be bruised and onions small and sometimes soft. I inspect everything! You have to be careful and eye up all the goods.
    I suspect lack of brain-power and knowledge about healthy eating/nutrition is what leads people to the cheap supermarkets and goods high in fat and sugar. However, with care you can get GOOD healthy deals in cheaper places. I am an expert!
    My Mum always used the M&S food hall (she could walk there and used a trolley to wheel stuff home) and I have to say her meals were fine. She paid heck of a lot of money for six eggs though...and that's where I suspect the more upmarket stores get away with charging lots more for everyday foods. They know their customers won't baulk at the extra cost of free range eggs and that there is a snob-value attached to their carrier bags. However, they still sell ready meals which (wealthier) people buy.

6. SOUP??? My family looked upon soup as an in-between-meal snack or starter. Salad was always something you had to have because it was good for you or made the plate look pretty. Pasta and spuds are dead cheap and I used them to fill my family up. Mass-produced wet-sponge chicken breasts (now even they are pricy) and mince did the rest.
    Unless you can buy in bulk at Costco and have a freezer/enough storage space it is a bit optimistic to presume that you can fill up a family - especially if it contains 6ft 2in+ men - from scratch cheaper than a budget range of readymeals on a regular basis.
    Or maybe you can if you make them a nourishing, low-cholesterol, high-fibre meal and then get them to fill up on Morrison's permanently-reduced snacks in between!

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

We usually cook from scratch and it doesn't work out too badly once you have all the basics you need - herbs, spices, oils etc. Things like chilli, lasagne, spaghetti bolognese etc aren't too expensive to make, and i always bulk them out with lots of veg so they last longer! I don't buy packet/jar sauces and use own brand tinned tomatoes. My husband likes cooking and makes curries and things from scratch. In the Summer i like things like jacket potato with salad, although my husband claims that isn't a proper meal!
    We try to get our fruit and veg from the greengrocer as much as possible. Then we just end up getting what we need rather than the 'buy 2 for £3' sort of supermarket deals where you end up chucking it out when it doesn't get used. It helps that i work part time, and live in the town, so i can get to the greengrocer easily.
    My toddler never has jars of food, always has home-cooked food! Since he's been eating i've made much more effort to cook properly, rather than just a bowl of salad for dinner!
    I'm sure ready meals from cheaper supermarkets work out cheaply, but take-aways are really expensive, surely? Especially if you have a family of 4 or more to feed!
    I suppose it is about how you ate growing up. I didn't have a take-away until I was 20 and living with uni flatmates!

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Surely there's no more standing involved in boiling or scrambling an egg, or microwaving a jacket potato, than there is in microwaving a ready meal?
    I'd buy certain sorts of M & S food - if we're travelling we often get a picnic from M & S (the airports we tend to go from often have a 24 hour M & S) of hummous, carrot batons, smoked salmon, nice bread etc - but I decided long ago that as nice as their ready meals tasted, they weren't good value for money in terms of the nutrition offered.

9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Good point. I doubt if the M&S is very near Spool's tower block.

I can certainly think of cheaper and more nutritious ways to sustain yourself even if ill. If Spool had been a bit organised she could have had a stock of home cooked meals in the freezer. I'm sure she will next time: after all it's not as if she hasn't got time to cook.

10. Guess what I'm eating (and drinking) tonight?

11. lettuce and wine

12. Which part of
    in the original post did you both miss? I had to go to the pharmacy. The pharmacy. M&S is next to the pharmacy.

13. I don't have a freezer. I rely on supermarkets to keep things frozen for me.

14. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Apologies. I get it now. Apparently if you're too ill to stand for a few minutes to cook an egg you're well enough to take to a vehicle and go round M&S choosing meals.

*does not compute*

15. Frigging hell you have a crystal ball. But with those I also had a gammon mini-joint with sinful honey glaze and two puds.
    OK. perspective. Son2 doesn't eat salted cured meat of any description so only me and Mr L had the gammon; he done himself a steak. We all had salad. They had new potatoes (hey! supermarket!) and the pud (bastards) and I had a f*cking kiwi fruit. i drank most of the wine.
    But three of us had a decent feed for a tenner plus a kiwi fruit and some spuds. Job done.

16. I forgot to add "no effort"[​IMG]

17. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

My point exactly.

18. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Surely anyone who does not think ahead and plan for such emergencies by having a freezer is just lazy?

~ Thought I'd try posting in the style of spool for a moment, I feel somewhat unclean now though.~

I'm on total bedrest at the moment, strict doctors orders. I've not had to resort to m and s readymeals. They're full of ****. My whole house is carrying on as normal ( if a little more untidy than when I'm up and about).

Even if Mr CG wasn't around I wouldn't have to resort to m and s because I have a well stocked freezer (see, inspite of my swearing I'm quite bright and not lazy) and a whole bunch of friends who have already texted and phoned to offer help and support. I could live for a couple of weeks without cooking if each one of them made me a meal. Which they've offered to do.

Maybe if spool didn't spend her time looking down on and sneering at others, she might have some mates to rally round and feed her.
    As for driving when you're too ill to cook, downright dangerous! My car hasn't moved for a few days and won't for a while.

I'm surprised there isn't a pharmacy in walking distance of spool's utopian paradise tower block. I've got 2 on my doorstep plus home delivery via the doctors surgery.

19. The last time I was laid up to the point that I couldn't cook, dear friends and neighbours took it in turns to look after the kids (aged about 11) and bring round a home-cooked meal in the evening. That was when my family first encountered what to all other humans is a normal-sized portion. From the depths of depression I remember raising a smile at Son2's lifting the casserole dish and peering in to check it didn't have a false bottom.

20. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Haha. Fortunately Mr CG is an excellent cook ( much better than me ) so I don't think the kids have even noticed. I was really touched at the number of friends who have offered to shop/ cook/ clean/ babysit etc.
    Being in bed while the weather is so nice is really annoying though.