1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

On becoming sad..

Discussion in 'Personal' started by magic surf bus, Mar 21, 2011.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

No, not gloomy, but sad in the sense of "Oh dad/mum you are sooooooo sad..."

Here's three I'm willing to confess to:

1. Keeping the electronic inventory tag in a pair of trousers and timing my entry through the security scanner at the supermarket doors just as someone else is walking out, thus setting off the beeper so the person going out looks all embarrassed.

2. At the automated checkout in Sainsburys I have my Nectar card all ready before I press the 'Pay' button so I can swipe it before the machine asks me 'Have you swiped your Nectar Card?', thus beating it to the draw.

3. At the above automated checkout, telling it I've used my own bags when I haven't, thus fiddling Sainsburys out of a few measly Nectar points.

Any more saddo confessions out there? C'mon...

2. Saying, 'Excuse me', really loudly when people barge past me, whether it's to get on the bus or to peruse the discounted food shelf in Tesco.
    I know it's sad, but I apologise for nothing.

3. Ha ha Bethanie -I like your style. Since my friend has developed mobility problems I've been shocked by people's ignorant attitude. They just barge past her, on several occasions nearly knocking her off her walking sticks.
    My Gran says "pardon?" if people barge past her. They usually reply " I didn't say anything" to which she replies "Oh I'm sorry, I thought you said thank you". Cue shame faced mumble of thank you. Brilliant.
    In terms of being sad - I very rarely use self service machines - the shouty voices make me too angry.
    I do have to use up one bottle / jar / before I open another. Drives me mad to have 2 jams on the go at once.

4. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I very clearly mouth something like, "Don't mind me!" or "No problem!" to other drivers when I've stopped to let them through and they haven't acknowledged it.

5. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Snap!

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I can relate to this, but tend to just shout back at it before storming off with my shopping.
    Oh yes. But one marmalade, one honey and one jam is okay in my book.

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

My response is always the same "Aye, thanks a lot you complete fu***ng wa**er!"
    Occasionally they get the finger.

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I have been known to buy really expensive interview outfits, only to return them the day after the interview, complete with tags etc. (all having been carefully tucked in and hidden) [​IMG]

9. Thanks for that link - I'm glad I'm not the only one!

As to taking the interview outfits back to the shop I think that's cheeky and frugal not sad [​IMG]
    I'd never have the nerve to do that.

10. I get very excited about composting [​IMG]

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

You might if you were skint enough [​IMG]

12. learningyoghurt

learningyoghurt New commenter

I always say 'You're welcome' to the cashpoint when it says "Thank you for using this service".
    And I occasionally kiss my car.

13. When the Tesco delivery man brings my internet shopping, I try and use as many synonyms of 'thank you' as I can without repeating them, e.g. thanks, ta, cheers etc. So sad.

14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Sad! That's not sad, it's totally engrossing, and VERY exciting. Sometimes the main purpose of the garden seems to be to feed the compost heaps.

15. I will use a very loud and sarcastic "Bitte schön" if somebody doesn't say thank you.
    I tell people off if they barge their way into a queue (this tends to be pensioners - sorry, pensioners, but just because you are old, there is no excuse to be rude. You could at least ask).
    If somebody pinches my parking spot (you know, those errrrm males who whip past you and pull in?) I will pull up next to or behind their car so that they cannot get back out. I smile angelically as I am locking my door and when they comment (as they always do) I suggest we swap places. This always means they say yes, then as they move their car, I nip into the parking space. Only twice has anyone bothered to attempt to block MY car (they normally drive off in a huff when they realise I have tricked them), at which point I (with a dead pan face) made for my mobile and said that unfortunately I would have to have their car towed away.
    That is an evil trick which WORKS! Try it [​IMG]

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I started to write about three unimportant habits shared by my husband and I - just simple things we always do, but realised you might laugh and I didn't want that. Sharing or at least tolerating each others funny ways is one of the reasons we've stayed together and I realised these odd, mundane rituals that are shared in marriage become almost sacred - quite intimate and not for sharing.

17. I think there is more than an ounce of truth in that!

18. I consider myself more <strike>odd</strike> eccentric than sad!
    However, I too always do the sarcastic "you're welcome".