1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

On an excellent night for star-gazing

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I've seen all of Orion's sword and even his dog, Canis Major with my naked eyes. It left me pondering over a fag, whether Canis Major and Canis Minor ever attended the same dog education school, whether Canis Minor had been expected to live up to the excellent reputation his older brother had gained or was treated with contempt by the masters for the poor behaviour of his brother.

Who can advise why Canis Minor does his best to be hidden from view?

Who wants to speculate whether either of these dogs are as much a pain in the butt as our dog is? Did Orion get as much grief as I do when I accede to this dog's demands to play with him?

He has a favourite toy he impatiently insists I should be indulged with. It's a soft plastic ring with moulded spikes around it's circumference and once had a squeak that drove me insane until I removed it.

He demands I throw it for him so he can retrieve it and then does his best to avoid me taking it back off him to throw again. This game has nothing to do with throwing and retrieving, it's about outwitting the other through deft movements of the head and hands. He loves it to bits and would play it all day long if he was allowed.

From my perspective, if we had never ever played this game it couldn't have been too soon, but when I tell him coldly to Go.......AWAY, I get grief from my sweetheart, who thinks I should bond more with the dog.

So I play the game. As it's all about ownership of the toy, I throw it on the floor so it then bounces against the wall and returns back to me. The dog doesn't like this tactic at all and barks his disapproval angrily whenever I succeed, doing his best to grab it at the first bounce or try to rip my hands off as I catch it.

My sweetheart also disapproves of the practice, citing the marks the toy is leaving on the study wall and the racket the dog makes.

You can't win, can you?

colpee likes this.
  2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Canis Major and Minor are Bootes' dogs, not Orion's :)

dogs. cats without the subtlety :D

racroesus and magic surf bus like this.
  3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Did you get the moon on a stick while you were at the star gazing?

4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

:D
    Cats - Dogs without the loyalty

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I've only seen the stars as rapidly passing glimpses in the last two weeks.

6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Probably not!
    image.jpeg

racroesus and Duke of York like this.
  7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I have discovered that I can wind the dog up by keeping eye to eye contact him with my glasses on, then pulling the specs away from my eyes a little, such that they magnify the eyeballs. He hates it for some strange reason.