1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

On a week long holiday, how many books would you read?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doglover, Jul 3, 2011.

1. I was at the pool one day, and my husband was talking to the parents of a child, our daughter was playing with.
    The lady said she was heading back to read her book, and then boasted, "That'll be the first book finished!" and beamed from ear to ear.
    It was nearly the end of our week long holiday, but it was the end of her first week of a 2 week holiday.
    My husband then told her that I was just finishing my 4th book, and she became a little irritated, and I (not involved in the conversation), had a little giggle to myself.
    I am quite a fast reader, and my books were quite long - well 3 of them were. My daughter had begged me to read her book, which I did in a couple of hours, so that one didn't really count. It was quite good actually. In fact, even she managed 2 books while we were away, and she isn't a great reader, I have just hit on books she really likes recently.
    I did have more books with me, incase I needed more, and I didn't think 4 was a lot. I did do all the other normal holiday things like swimming, eating out, visiting some touristy places etc.
    My husband however thinks 4 books is a lot to read in a year, never mind a week, lol!
    But now I am wondering if I was being incredibly lazy by spending time, reading 4 books or is that fairly normal?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

It's your holiday - you spend your time how you want to! It would be a dull world if it was prescribed how we all had to spend our holidays.
    Enjoy your reading and your holiday! [​IMG]

3. The holidays are my catch up time for reading, so I usually get through about the same as you in a week. The holidays are there for you to do what you want, so go for it.

4. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

If at home during a week's holiday, I'd probably read 2 - 3 books of reasonable length.
    If abroad, I'd probably take 3 but only finish 1 since the sun just makes me want to snooze the day away on a nice sun lounger.

5. At least 7 of the easy to read chick-lit type and when I run out I have to read whatever my friend has taken with her! To be fair, I go away for one week without my children to an adult only hotel specifically to relax and lie around doing very little.

On a similar topic, I tried to take part in a chain letter book swap a couple of years ago. Some friends, to whom I sent it, asked me what on earth I thought they would do with 36 books! I had foolishly assumed that everyone else would read as much as I do.

6. I agree -it's your holiday, you work hard and deserve to enjoy yourself.
    I would probably read one or two books in a week depending upon the holiday but find that reading sometimes leads to napping.[​IMG]
    As a matter of interest how long each day would you spend reading? and what sorts of books do you enjoy?

7. I agree -it's your holiday, you work hard and deserve to enjoy yourself.
    I would probably read one or two books in a week depending upon the holiday but find that reading sometimes leads to napping.[​IMG]
    As a matter of interest how long each day would you spend reading? and what sorts of books do you enjoy?

8. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I don't read when I'm away on holiday, as I'm too busy seeing the sights etc When I'm at home during the holidays, I do tend to get through a couple of crime novels a week. What I really can't understand (going off topic here) is how people have time to post on Facebook about the wonderful holiday they're having. I'm always tempted to write that it can't be that good or they wouldn't be wasting time on the internet!!

9. I allow for a book per day!

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Me too.......Mr Belle's cheque books! [​IMG]

11. Only you could have written that, Belle ;)

12. 5 easy books and a couple of challenging ones. I am out and about quite a lot on holiday but I always read in the morning waiting for everyone else to get up, at some point in the sun and then in the evening in the gap between being out doing daytime stuff and going out for dinner/drinks in the evening. I'll read the paper most days too.

13. Certainly one a day

I would take the 7

But I would know that each of the other people on holiday with me have 3ish so I will not run out

Have been sold on the Kindle so seem to be taking 64 for 2 weeks (plus some real books just in case)

14. You can also sometimes swap with others by the pool and some places have a shelf of discarded books to swap or borrow. I will be searching the local charity shops for suitable books nearer the time so that I can leave some there and make room in my suitcase for souvenirs.

15. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

it depends.

I will take 4 books for a week, something like 2 terry Pratchett's, 1 lighter book and something a bit more mentally challenging, ie a philosophy book, A theology book/Dawkins/Darwin esqe type or something I have had for a while that I just haven't got around to reading.

OH will take 5-7 books and will end up reading mine before moving on to the 'share shelf' in the hotel.

16. Private villa so no shared area ... there were a few books in last year's villa ... 2 I had with me and the others I had read the previous year [​IMG]

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I would usually take about 5 books for a 2 week holiday although a couple of years back in Italy I got through 8 in the fortnight. Luckily the apartment we were in had a shelf of book s left by previous occupiers. We added ours to the library before we left.

18. One of my books fell apart in the heat of the sun - the adhesive seemed to melt on the spine of the book.
    That has happened a few times now.

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I know [​IMG]

20. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I would love to be able to sit/lie in the sun and read to my heart's content.
    But I keep falling asleep!
    Takes me ages to get through a book. I'm sure it's some weird, undiagnosed medical condition.