1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OMP, parental leave and resignation

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by pianistinpractice, May 20, 2011.

1. Am currently on Mat leave and have found myself in a tricky situation. Am waiting to hear back about a new position starting September, and have looked into the repayment of OMP to current school if I get it. Its a lot of money (way more than I'd anticipated), and I simply don't have the money to repay them. My alternative is therefore to work 13 weeks (FT) before resigning the post and taking up new employment in September. Timing it VERY tight! I'd need to return to work on June 1st in order to make this work, which leaves very little time to arrange childcare. I was intending to return to work in July, so would I have enough time to inform school of this date change (think I've read somewhere its meant to be 4 week notice to return before end of mat leave?).

If I am able to return 1st June, my second questino relates to Parental Leave. I've read somewhere else on TES forums that parental leave can count towards the 13 weeks (as can holidays etc), but you need to give 21 days notice before taking it. I'm also under the impression it can last up to four consecutive weeks????

So..... if all of this is correct, is it possible at all for me to get out of paying this OMP back and start a new position in September?! HELP - its so confusing!

2. Hi
    I don't know about the rest of it, but I do know that you have to give 4 weeks notice before returning to work after Mat leave. I agree, it is all very confusing

3. Thanks nikita2009, thats what I thought, which means 1st June is out of the question. I wonder if I could start back a bit later and take the parental leave bit at the start of September, and then resign - or would i then have to work until the end of that term? Presumably I would, as I'd then have to resign in the usual way
    I don't think its going to be possible which means taking up the new PT role will cost me about £4k! My school will only give me PT temporary for a year, and then want me back FT, so there's no easy option.

4. Why don't you go pt temp for a year at your school, as they are offering, and during that time look for something else? It may be an option worth considering, especially if the school you are at is supportive and you get on with everyone.
    Alternatively, have you considered doing supply work?

5. New post is on the doorstep (something I will no doubt treasure when little one starts nursery!), and has a TLR attached so bit more money in the bank.... tough call!

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Resignation dates, unless intending to resign from the end of your maternity leave period, remain the same as usual. You do need to give 4 weeks notice of date changes to your return to work date.