1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Omp - maternity pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Mut1ey, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Mut1ey

Mut1ey New commenter

I'm currently on maternity leave
    Last month I was paid smp which I understand is statutory maternity pay but was also paid omp - occupational maternity leave. Never heard of omp before.

Does any one know how this is calculated?
    I receive 2 pay scales ups3 and l6 0.5 for each as worked full time

Thanks for your help

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you meet certain conditions, and your school uses the "Burgundy Book" teachers' pay and conditions, you get more than the statutory entitlement. (If it's not an LA school, your entitlement could be anywhere from the statutory minimum to the Burgundy Book scheme, or maybe even better, but I would guess that most schools use Burgundy Book if they offer anything more than statutory.)

For details, try the union websites, eg https://www.nasuwt.org.uk/advice/conditions-of-service/maternity.html

You need to be aware that you have to repay the OMP if you do not return to your post for at least 13 weeks after maternity leave. You can decline to take it, or just avoid spending it, if you may not return.