1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Omg! Awful first date! Please tell me your first date horrors, make me feel better!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by elisa1, Aug 3, 2011.

1. elisa1

elisa1 New commenter

I cannot believe this happened this evening! Met this bloke online (yes I know!) got chatting, hes in the army! Aged mid 40's I'm 39. My marriage has only been over a few months but thought as it was the Summer, I would like some company. Thought this bloke wanted something similar! i got dressed up, we were only going for a drink in a pub, I arranged to meet him outside, I drove, headed up past the entrance to the pub and up to the car park, I'm parking my car when I see this bloke run up, head into his car and drive off at speed, i thought it may not be one and the same, anyway I strolled down to the door, no one was there. this bloke had texted 5 mins earlier to say he had arrived, so I texted him, i got no response until 10 mins later by this time I had gone back to my car!

the text said I wasn't the person for him!!!!! I texted back saying that was fine but he could have been a bit more polite, he texted back saying I was too fat!!!!!!!!

Fab that does real wonders for my self esteem!!!! OMG!!!! We had exchanged pictures too! Unreal, the thing is in that situation I would have had a drink and then texted thanks but there was no chemistry I would not have hurt someones feelings in that way!!!!!!!

Wow I feel great about myself!!!!!!

So what are your first date disasters....cheer me up x

2. elisa1

elisa1 New commenter

I cannot believe this happened this evening! Met this bloke online (yes I know!) got chatting, hes in the army! Aged mid 40's I'm 39. My marriage has only been over a few months but thought as it was the Summer, I would like some company. Thought this bloke wanted something similar! i got dressed up, we were only going for a drink in a pub, I arranged to meet him outside, I drove, headed up past the entrance to the pub and up to the car park, I'm parking my car when I see this bloke run up, head into his car and drive off at speed, i thought it may not be one and the same, anyway I strolled down to the door, no one was there. this bloke had texted 5 mins earlier to say he had arrived, so I texted him, i got no response until 10 mins later by this time I had gone back to my car!

the text said I wasn't the person for him!!!!! I texted back saying that was fine but he could have been a bit more polite, he texted back saying I was too fat!!!!!!!!

Fab that does real wonders for my self esteem!!!! OMG!!!! We had exchanged pictures too! Unreal, the thing is in that situation I would have had a drink and then texted thanks but there was no chemistry I would not have hurt someones feelings in that way!!!!!!!

Wow I feel great about myself!!!!!!

So what are your first date disasters....cheer me up x

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Dear God, you poor thing - that would take some beating.

My first date with the (now) Mrs Doomzebra involved me spilling a pint of beer over my pizza me still eating the pizza (I was well classy, me).

4. Thank God you didn't spend ever 10 minutes in this person's company, what a waste of time that would have been. Imagine if it had been several days or weeks or even months before you had seen his true colours! What a catastrophe it could have turned out to be....

5. elisa1

elisa1 New commenter

I know!! I just need to pick myself up and dust myself off, it just hurt!!! But I know he is a louse. But to run away and drive off at speed!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!! Xx

6. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

A cowardly louse

7. Perhaps he'd caught sight of his wife just inside the door......

8. Sounds like you had a lucky escape, thank goodness you didn't have to sit through an evening in the company of such a rude, shallow and thoughtless person. I bet he's not exactly God's gift either.
    He was probably driving so quickly in the hope that you wouldn't see him, even though the idiot drew more attention to himself.
    I'm sure you'll have better luck with the next one, things can't surely only get better x

9. That's horrible, elisa. I do understand how you are feeling - had a similar experience in my 40s. Many years ago I was a member of a social club for lone parents - pre internet: I have no recollection of how we used to communicate - land line, I suppose. I arranged to meet this man at a pub nearby. He arrived late and I was nursing my cooling cup of coffee. I'm not sure he even had a drink of water before he left with some pathetic excuse and me feeling utterly ****. Have many other similar experiences to relate. (My life has had a happy ending, so hope yours does too!) Why can't people just be gracious?

10. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

I had one guy turn up completely stoned up to his eyeballs to meet me. Apparently he was nervous. This was our 2nd or 3rd date and we had met each other several times through mutual friends before, so I cannot see what there was to be nervous about! Needless to say, that put an end to that!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

'Well, there was the bloke who spent our first - and only - date telling me all about his flash car (deadly dull to someone with not the slightest interest in flash cars) and his bowel problem...not something you want to hear while you're eating your dinner.

12. That's terrible, I'd have been so upset [​IMG]
    Hadn't he seen a picture of you?

13. I met someone once and as the train pulled into the platform I remember thinking 'oh no I hope that's not him'. I would have considered not getting off but it was the end of the line! He was nothing like his profile picture which painted an image of a fairly tall, slim male with nice hair. He turned out to be chubby and bald, which may not have been such an issue if he wasn't as short as then I wouldn't have seen the top of his head. The evening was awful - he gave me permission to have an alcoholic drink, and when ordering starters declared that we would share. The whole evening was just soooo awkward. Needless to say there was no 2nd date.

14. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

So sorry to hear about your experience. You've probably won out of the situation though; you didn't spend two hours in the company of a d!ckhead!
    I've had a couple of 'interesting' first dates. One that brought his mum along is a favourite story of mine. Others included "Have you ever been to a swingers party? Would you like to?", one telling me of how wonderful his life was and how all that was missing was his one true love and was that me? and another one who after two dates decided that he would give me a proper heartfelt dumping in the foyer of a hotel. Whatever dude, it's just the second date and I wasn't feeling it anyway!
    Keep going. They're not all pricks!

15. I had one (set up my a friend- god only knows what she was thinking) who spent the whole date telling me about the differences between Startrek and Star wars in detail.
    Now I have no problem with sci-fi, although it's not really my thing, but this date lasted for over 3 HOURS! I was too polite to excuse myself.

I also had one first date where we met up and got a drink and after 10 minutes the guy said "so are we going back to yours?" No we certainly were not

On the other side of it though- I was once stood up by a guy who had pestered me to go out with him. Enranged I rang his mobile and left a very rude message using oh so many expletives.
    The next day his mum rang me back to say that he had been on his way to meet me but had been in a serious car accident and was in hospital. Oddly he never called me.

16. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Star Trek is two words. You obviously didn't listen closely enough. I shall have to explain again:
    A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

17. Really sorry, OP. He sounds like a total ****.
    Not my first date with Mr Tarte (thank God) but on a subsequent date, he took me to a Mexican restaurant. I was pretty nervous as I was to be meeting some of his friends there for the first time.
    I can't remember what I ordered, but it was full of rice and kidney beans and was VERY hot n spicy. Mr Tarte and his mates kept buying me drinks. All of a sudden, I came over very funny indeed. The heat of the restaurant and food, and well as the drink and nerves made me feel very peculiar. With absolutely no warning, I suddenly threw up onto my plate.
    At this point, Mr Tarte and his friends were in conversation and hadn't noticed my filthy beast faux pas.
    However, a few minutes later they started asking what was wrong with my food as I apparently hadn't touched it! It did actually look the same as what had originally been placed in front of me.
    So with complete disgust and mortification, I had to then start picking at my vomit-y food ....

18. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

tarte, that is truly disgusting. You were lucky to bag a man [​IMG]

19. elisa1

elisa1 New commenter

Tarte that has made me laugh!!!! Omg but having to eat it again!!!! Bleurghhhh x

20. Oh, absolutely Crowbob! [​IMG]
    I guess my ravishing good looks must make up for it [​IMG]