1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OMG anyone read this?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by les25paul, Nov 15, 2011.

1. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Idiot and selfish kids tend to have idiot and selfish parents.

2. Yep I usually find the parents of difficult children worse. In one school on a permanent job not supply I had a parent come to see me and she brought back up in the shape of her sister and she then verbally laid into me. Caretaker kept walking past jingling his keys and next door teacher rang my mobile to try and get me out of the room. Was then told later she had previously physically assaulted a teacher a few years before and to always have an extra person when she visits. Bit late as I took myself off shaking into my stockroom and had a cry!

On a supply placement before summer a difficult year 6 afternoon filling in for the long term sick teacher and recently sick usual supply I said to the class "if you were my usual every day class..." and before I could finish saying they would be kept in at lunch and play a child piped up "you'd be f'ing dead miss". So I told agency I'd prefer not to go back.

3. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

JUST READ THE MAIL ARTICLE.and they have closed the site to any more comments and not even showing the ones that were posted.... anyone seen any of the comments posted??? I suspect that its been so slated they have had to close it...................... ....................................................................................................................................................................What an incompetent piece of writing and research that is over 10 years old and way out of date ... there is more informative research that could have been found to support and dispel the myth that supply teachers are to blame for everything happening in schools. ......................................... who was firing the shots here.... and why? .................................................NO MENTION of pupils being taught for at least a minimum of 10% everyweek (and rising) in all schools by UNQUALIFIED SUPPORT STAFF .....TAs, HTLAs and Cover Supervisors to cover PPA time in schools NO MENTION that this % is rising and will continue to rise with the new Freedoms given to schools and Head Teachers to appoint who THEY consider appropriate to be in front of the class and for how long they can do it. NO MENTION of Rarely Cover or the workforce reform which was pushed through. NO MENTION of schools under budget restraints and taking the easy option to use unqualified staff and Teaching Agencies. NO MENTION that the Private Sector has been filling the gap left by the LEAs and schools to source appropriate qualified cover staff. NO MENTION of LEAs not taking responsibility for ensuring schools requiring supply teachers can access them fully qualified and CRB checked. NO MENTION that LEAs will not do CRBs for supply teachers. NO MENTION that Cover Supervisors can now be brought in from Agencies, join teachers unions and take responsibilities for whole classes. NO MENTION ...... AT ALL .......OF USING UNQUALIFIED support staff to cover lessons. NO MENTION that actually OFSTED does not inspect the supply teachers that are in when Ofsted is in. NO MENTION of reports from OFSTED on the use of unqualified staff to plug the cover gaps. NO MENTION that OFSTED inspects the schools support staff when in cover supervision roles. IN FACT ITS A PASSING THE BUCK ARTICLE............to an invisible workforce who do not have a collective voice to defend itself.
    The article link has just been forwarded to the NUT for them to respond on behalf.

4. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Me thinks you are missing the point.................................. who do you think will be the next in line to take the blame for everything if there are no supply teachers to do the cover........................................ the Cover Supervisors of course............................... and who will you blame????? I wonder.