1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oman Schools

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by exLondoner2, Oct 23, 2009.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, goose888, "high" and "very high" are relative terms, surely? A certain amount of staff turnover is perfectly normal and even a healthy thing, perhaps. Bear in mind that international schools usually have a higher staff turnover than similar schools in the UK.
    In any case, the fact that lots of staff are leaving a particular school might even be a sign that the school is IMPROVING, not that it is getting worse. When I was teaching in Doha, the new director did not renew the contracts of a number of unqualified staff, who should never have been given jobs in the first place, and set about recruiting more qualified and experienced staff.

2. Mr robinson

Mr robinson New commenter

so does anyone know about package at ***? How much could I save given that I have a non working wife and a 5 yr old daughter?

3. No doubt that a certain amount of staff turnover is normal but a majority of the time it is due to staff being hounded out by incompetent management and frustrated staff who are unable to do their jobs. In those situations there is never any alternative but for staff to vote with their feet. I know this has been the case in a number of schools in Dubai and Muscat.
    Some schools improve as a result of the professionalism of the staff and maybe some management should never be given jobs in the first place. When more experienced and qualified staff are recruited, they normally leave after a year due to frustration at the imcompetence of management.
    New blood is always a good thing but again I would advise people to make an informed decision when looking at International Schools, In a recent TES article about teachers moving to International Jobs, it was reported that staff development and INSET training is not a priority and for those looking for career development, International schools aren't the place. Another bit of advice - dont be taken in by all the hype and lifestyle ****. Happy Job Hunting

4. shogran

shogran New commenter

Can someone give me an idea about what its like working in Oman and the British School, I am thinking about applying for a job that has come up in the TES. Cheers

5. I would be curious to find out about the pay. Anyone?[​IMG]

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

As a rule, schools in Oman does not pay as well as most of the Gulf countries. On the other hand, prices are a bit higher in Oman because of sales tax.

7. I would also like to know about MIS...and life generally in Oman for a single 30 something lass

Cheers

8. Has anyone heard of the ABQ International School Muscat? I've been shortlisted and want a rough idea of what it's like.
    Thanks

9. International Schools Review have a review of this school

When we got to the school we found that it is only half built with many wires hanging out of walls and 50% of the classrooms empty. This was due to the high aspirations of the owner/director and her partners who have subsequently backed out of financing the school, so she has a huge building which has been left unfinished for 4 years. Most areas of the school are particularly dangerous for health and safety.

More at https://www.internationalschoolsreview.com/members/azzan-oman.htm