1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oman Schools

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by exLondoner2, Oct 23, 2009.

1. I know the British school in Muscat is supposed to be good, but what about the international one advertising at the moment. Any info?

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

British School Muscat is outstanding.
    If the Shell school is the one down by the sea, I am not sure what the school is like, other than small, but I think the package is good and you live in accomodation by the Shell Leisure Club (dont know its name). The school is situated there too and you get membership to the Club, which in itself is a great bonus.
    Of course, if the Shell school isnt the one by the sea, forget all I just said

3. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I am currently teaching in Muscat. You can PM me and I'll tell you more.

4. Buttles

Buttles New commenter

Hello Ian
    I wonder if you can tell me much about the Muscat International School?
    What would be a decent salary for a teacher?

Kind regards

Buttles

5. Dax

Dax

Did I not hear from an ex-colleague at *** that MIS had ructions several years ago? Ruthless SMT, second-rate salaries imposed, some staff hounded out? I may well be out of date, but perhaps you should do a careful check.

6. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

The Sultan's School has a good reputation, even though the Scottish head is pretty unpleasant. The deputy is a nice bloke, considering that he is the nephew of Albert Pierrepoint, England's last hangman.

7. Why would you tell people that? Does it elevate his status?
    I used to know a guy who was related to Buffalo Bill and he insisted on telling everyone for no good reason. Believe me, it did nothing to elevate his status.

8. I work in Muscat at the 'outstanding' school. I would strongly recommend you not to even consider MIS. Salary is about half of the *** salary and working conditions poor. The only ones in Muscat worth lookng at are ***, and ABA

9. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Traveller, I have sent you a message.

10. Hi Traveller,
    Can I ask you about ***, what is it like to teach there? Are the management supportive? What is the accomadation etc like? *** always seems to advertise at this time of year for several jobs? Do new staff leave quickly? I hear good things and also some bad things (eg comment on ISR). What are the big issues at the school? Your help would be useful.
    Thanks

11. amethyst303

amethyst303 New commenter

Hippo, you seem to be the font of all knowledge about all the schools in the Middle East - have you worked at each and every one of them? Just to put the record straight, 'the Scottish head' is no longer at the Sultan's School and, although, I believe not desperately popular with his staff, was professional and not in it for his own ends, let's say. Albert Pierrepont's 'nephew' is no longer there either and was not the deputy but the Development Officer. Although I have no particular allegiance to the school, I do take exception to people 'mouthing off' when a. they do not have their facts straight and b. they seem to have nothing better to do than spend time poisoning people's minds. Maybe they don't keep you busy enough at RAKESS?

12. stopwatch

To clarify, I don't work there but have been told the following:
    Head very good, well organised and driven for the school to succeed. Has made many positive changes. High standards all round are expected.
    Salary and package very good, with some common sense terms in the contract.
    Don't know about accomodation.
    Recruitment is done a lot earlier than in UK. Most schools advertise around december/jan because this is when people have to sign up for next year/show their intention in international schools.

13. the hippo

Amethyst303, I have not worked at the Sultan's School in Oman and I never claimed otherwise. Of course a lot of the information on this forum tends to be rather anecdotal and one's personal impressions. I try to make sure that my posts are as accurate as possible.

14. amethyst303

Failed miserably on that one then! This is how malicious gossip is spread. You know, as well as I, that the international circuit is very small so take care. Also the last hangman in England was Albert Pierrepo<u>i</u>nt whereas the gentleman who worked at the Sultan's School was called Pierrepont, so failed on impressing us too............ You're TES's answer to the professional 'funeral goer' - always there but unrelated.

15. ian60

ian60 New commenter

To be honest, amethyst, I think you are being a bit harsh
    It is true that hippo has offered his views on a large number of schools, and it is unlikely that he has first hand knowledge of all of them. However I do think he is posting in good faith and that he posts to help others.
    I have certainly appreciated the information and opinions he has sent me. It is, of course, up to me, to decide how much weight to attach to this.
    There is always an element of gossip-mongering whenever an opinion is posted about a school, especially when individuals are 'identified' however cryptically. I don't think hippo is any more guilty that many other posters on this forum

16. stopwatch

It is better to get an opinion than no opinion. It adds to the melting pot of discussion.
    As this is an open forum, there is always the option of disagreeing.

17. amethyst303

Stopwatch & ian60, I appreciate this is an open forum and everyone is entitled to their <u>opinion</u>, which can be informative or 'taken with a pinch of salt'. I think you have both missed the point in that, what I was objecting to in Hippo's posting, was that someone's character was being commented upon when he had no experience of this person, professional or otherwise. I always go by the yardstick, 'speak as you find' or keep quiet and seeing that Hippo had not 'found' the person in question then maybe he shouldn't comment at all. The unfortunate thing on this facility, is that some 'old-timers' think they have the right to say exactly what THEY want and put down people who do not contribute much, but who feel strongly about others commenting on people they have absolutely no first-hand (second, third .....) experience of. Bit like British journalism really - look at the mess that's in at the moment.

18. stopwatch

Hey who are you calling 'old timer' you 'young whippersnapper'
    Oh yes, and learn how to do paragraphs, my eyes went all blurry under my bi-focals reading your contribution [​IMG]
    Seriously though, I hear what you are saying about 'incorrect information, but if we were only to restrict comments to those which are 'proved and tested' a lot of stuff wouldn't get written.
    Comments here vary from the 'I was there and saw it first hand' to the ' a friend of a friend of a friend once told me that once upon a time, perhaps maybe etc etc' and as long as people like yourself are around to verify or annul comments that is a better 'arrangement'

19. the hippo

A few years ago, I did meet the aforementioned headmaster of a certain school in Oman and I did not find him a particularly pleasant and friendly character. This opinion was later confirmed by someone who had actually taught at the same school.
    I fully accept, amethyst303, that my views on many matters are rather subjective and indeed some of the information that I pass on to the readers of this forum has sometimes passed its "sell-by date". However, I did not deliberately intend to mislead anyone.

20. As this is an open forum, it is important that people looking into jobs in the middle east get an idea about where they are going.
    'There is no smoke without fire' There must be some truth in rumours that are circulated. I know friends of mine in Oman comment on how staff turnover is very high at the British School and staff - management relations are not very good.
    Any advice or information that can help people make an informed decision is always helpful. It is an important decsion to move abroad and work in a distant land.