1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oman Salalah

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mrjack, Sep 18, 2019.

1. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

Anyone have any info on this town / city ?

2. 1stSgtWelsh

1stSgtWelsh New commenter

I lived in Salalah and worked at the College of Applied Sciences a few years ago. My information might be out of date, but I'll help if I can. What do you want to know?

3. mrjack

I've heard it's like a ghost town, boring as hell and few other expats. Is that correct ? I love the outdoors, activities and diving etc but I don't want to be isolated or bored. Any info you can provide on the place will be appreciated.

4. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

You can drive to Abu Dhabi from there - weirdly a student was just talking about this to me at lunchtime - its a 12 hour drive (no idea how accurate they are) or a 2 hour flight. Their family goes often as they have a grandfather in Salalah. Depending on the price a 2 hour flight to Dubai would be doable once a month for a wilder time.

5. mrjack

Thanks for getting back, I don't want to be somewhere I have to drive 12hrs to visit something nice ! If anyone has experience of the place I'd love to hear their opinion of whether an outdoorsy, single, forty something guy will enjoy himself there.

6. 1stSgtWelsh

1stSgtWelsh New commenter

Depends what you like, mrjack. There are many parts of the countryside that are beautiful (although it is a very rugged type of beauty) and the people are very friendly and hospitable. I'm a diver as well and did two days of dives when I was there, but, gave it up after that. The visibility, both times, was terrible. However, I knew people who kept themselves occupied by learning karate, fishing, birding, horse riding etc. It's like a lot of places in the Gulf. You have to make your own entertainment.

The expat community there is pretty small and tight knit. About half of them are at the "The Oasis" club every Thursday night. The shopping is reasonable, there is a good variety of restaurants and a decent cinema so I personally would not describe it as a ghost town. True, there's not much in terms of night life but there are quite a few places to wet your whistle. Trust me, when it comes to the Gulf, there are plenty of areas out there that could be considered as more of a 'hardship post'.

If you are after a pretty relaxed place, where not much happens, with access to beautiful nature then it might be right up your alley. I knew people there who loved it! Others, not so much. Personally, I had a pretty good two years there and don't regret having given it a go.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

7. mrjack

Diolch, thanks for that SgtWelsh. You have painted an excellent picture of what life could be like there.
    Thanks for taking the time to get back to me and give such an informative response. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens now, fed up of waiting for the phone to ring on supply in the UK anyway that's for sure.