1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OMAM

Discussion in 'English' started by yelnats, Jan 11, 2011.

1. I am about to introduce OMAM to my KS4 class, I really want to engage them as they are a difficult class,does anyone have any good ideas that are engaging but also show that they are learning.

Please help

adel_123@hotmail.co.uk

2. Hi
    I usually read the opening of chapter 1 and get them to create character wheels for Lennie and George. One each for personality and appearance. I then read the setting and get them to draw the brush and label with quotes.
    Chapter 2 I get them to draw the bunkhouse and label with quotes and create character profiles for new characters
    Chapter 3: Focus on shooting Candy's dog and the idea of fate, etc.I also get them to write a newspaper article on the story of Lennie crushing Curley's hand.
    Chapter 4: Focus on Crook's character and the idea of segregation. Maybe a diary entry for him about everyone being in his room and how he felt. Focus on American dream also.
    Chapter 5: Death as a theme: The pup and Curley's wife. The idea of fate again. A role-play of this scene with possible alternative ending predictions is always good.
    Chapter 6: Focus on setting again and the American dream. Storyboard/revision cartoon strip of the book.

Hope this helps

3. leola

leola New commenter

I was once told to avoid the first page of OMAM and instead begin with the introduction of George and Lennie-it was good advoce in my view.We cam back to the Salinas setting later on when we could relate and link it to the novel.themes/hints etc.