1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Olympics/Jubilee

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eggnchips, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Are you excited by either of these forthcoming events?

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Only as far as we're getting a free day off for the Jubilee!

3. The Olympics don't affect anyone outside the south east of England.
    I didn't know there was a day off for the Jubilee. I hope the royal family come up with an occasion for which a bank holiday is needed every year from now on.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

In Brum our day off is the 3rd January because the actual day falls in a school holiday.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I was told there's some sort of river based event for the jubilee . Can anyone clarify?

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Couldn't give a ****!

7. I quite like watching some of the events on the TV, things we don't get to see otherwise such as the fencing and so on. My step-dad has got some tickets for various events that I'm supposed to be going to and I'm really not at all bothered.
    I'm more pee'd off about the amount of money being spent on the Olympics than excited about going to see any of it!

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I don't work, so don't need to consider whether I get the day off or not.
    I have no interest in the Olympics, other than a firm belief that they are a colossal waste of money.
    So, no, I'm not excited by either event.

9. We don't get a day off for the jubilee, it's in half term and our council aren't adding it as another day off like others :(
    Got some tickets for the paralympics though which should be good

10. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Not at all excited and actually annoyed about the Jubilee as i have to take the time off my annual leave which is already pretty pathetic.

11. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

If that was 'f u c k' then me neither. Though I am mildly interested to see what will happen when the Olympics go pear shaped because various people can't organise ****-ups in breweries..

12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I live by the olympic arenas and we are dreading it.it wil be grid lock down here on the dates..the area is becoming a huge no parking zone.
    We dont get any tickets, we suffer the crowds and the transport is going to be full up....and when its finished to will mean nothing to we older folk.....even the stadium wont be available to the public till 2015!
    Worst of all its costing use extra on our rates!
    Jubilee.........well maybe.

13. Not really looking forward to the Olympics - not that interested in sport and didn't get any tickets. Living in London is going to be horrible while the Olympics are on and I can't see the long term benefits that people keep banging on about.
    Slightly more excited about the Jubilee. I enjoyed the previous two so I expect I'll join in the celebrations for this one as well.

14. Jubilee - a day off - woo hoo. Bit **** it's a Tuesday though. Weekend, work, day off, work...you'd think the queen could have planned that a bit better!
    Olympics - who cares, I live in NE Scotland - it's not going to bother me in any way in the slightest. I'll see absolutely no benefit / consequence / problem / issue. It would be just as well being on the other side of the world.

15. andromache

andromache New commenter

it's also the 50th birthday of coventry cathedral, and me.

16. sel-chick the last Bank Holiday in May is being moved so it will be a four day weekend according to
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_197517

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

We don't have the late May holiday in Scotland. In my LA,one of the inset has been moved to give pupils the Monday and Tuesday. Some other LAs have moved local holidays.

18. Oh sorry! I read this bit 'The extra bank holiday and extended bank holiday weekend will also apply to Scotland,' and thought it did! Just as well I am giving up drinking tomorrow for a little while!

19. We only got official word of actually getting the day as a holiday in the last week of term, and there was no word of anything (inset/local hol) being moved then, so I'll just have to take my random day off in the middle of the week and enjoy it.
    Don't think our timetable will have changed by then either, so with study leave, I'd only have one teaching period on the day... :(

20. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It's all a bit weird uphere. The same Bank holidays exists if you work in a bank. We also have public holidays,some of them similar to England and local holidays which can be different in various LAs. I think it all ads up to same amount as England but some are different dates.