1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Olympics 2012

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by binarygirl, Mar 4, 2011.

1. binarygirl

binarygirl New commenter

I need help with finding an inspiring maths lesson for Years 7 to 9 based on the olympics for an open day. It needs to be practical and based on stats which would be easier. It would need to keep the pupils engaged for 30 min. Any ideas gratefully recieved

2. Lines of symmetry/order of rotational symmetry on flags from aound the world.
    Ratio of country population to number of medals won - why is it usually higher populations that win more medals?

Pie charts for proportion of bronze/silver/gold medals - then brings in problem of comparisons with pie charts

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

You could try
    http://sport.maths.org
    Not complete yet, but there might be something there.

4. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Rotate the London 2012 symbol so that it looks like the word ZION?

That would be a fun one

5. I seem to remember one of the Bowland projects on the DVD was about the Olympic opening ceremony, how many competitors could you fit in, how long would it take to get them into the stadium walking at x mph etc - not 2012 but Olympics nonetheless.
    Errrrm Bbibbler, what is up with the 2012 symbol? I didn't make the Zion connection before but you're right. I just thought it looked really weird.

6. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

7. wonder what the iranians make of personalised number plates that use zero's for O's, 3''s for E's etc?

8. What is your first subject?
    Along with designing the outfit for Mohammed the Bear who will be the 2012 Games mascott

9. binarygirl

binarygirl New commenter

I had already thought of that myself but to be pc I think I will just enlarge it myself but might rotate it with my lower 6th PHSE class and then open it to discussion.

10. binarygirl

binarygirl New commenter

I think that is a brill idea about the competitors and using 1 cm sq paper with year 7 will really help.

11. binarygirl

binarygirl New commenter

Thanks everyone but please keep the ideas coming because I think I might have several activities going on at the same time with the pupils moving around every 10 min. I am also going to: stadium has 23 sections of seats with 20 rows 0f 15 seats' how many in total. Then 1/2 priced at £20.12 etc. etc.

12. How about you post up your detailed plans and people can critique/add to them?
    Its should be fairly easy to attribute a bit of maths to every part of an Olympic games from the mere spectator to the Mens 100mts winner.
    Do you think this will engage kids?

13. binarygirl

binarygirl New commenter

Will post up the whole lot when sorted in my head.
    * maths millionare base on olympics eg 10,000m; how many cm?

14. Do you think this will engage kids?
    Really? Im not sure many kids would buy into this or the other 'number crunching' suggestions.
    How about something to get kids thinking? what about a blank chart and get them to state which olympic events need to be recorded to 1,2,3,4 even 5 significant figures? get them to talk about the consequences of not adhering to such accuracy? Get them to make conjectures.
    Why not give kids a HTU chart and see if they can find sports that are scored in thousands, hundreds, tens units, tenths, hundreds and so on.... look at the connection between rounding to SF Vs DPs and see which would be influenced. Can you get away with being less 'precise' in some events? if so which ones and what are the consequences?
    This is all on one very boring topic of maths and to think of the fun you can have with shape and space or probability
    The suggestions you have made are little more than number crunching Pub Quiz questions. Make it engaging (and that doesnt have to be fun) and stretch kids.
    Plenty of other seemingly boring topics you can manipulate
    What about a vectors problem for top end kids between the Team hotel, Stadium and Airport?
    The Olympics give rise to so much more than how many cm are there in a 10000m
    I could think of 2-3 activities that are progressive, challenging and high on the thinking/development scale.

15. binarygirl

binarygirl New commenter

Betamale you are quite right but I have the following restictions- must be only 45 min and cater for level 3 to level 7 so that is why I really needed help. It is obvious that I am going to need several ideas. It also has to be based on the olympics- done in a classroom with classes up to 30. I have already written a worksheet on rounding and its affect on times, heights, ect. but I take the point that it would lend itself to a discussion. Can you or anyone think of a group activity?

16. I have given you examples
    As a maths teacher this should really be quite easy to structure things, surely?
    Why not have a revolving 10 minute station system set up on different tables where groups spend 10 minutes at one before moving to the next
    <ol>[*]10 minutes on number ranging from level 3-7[*]10 minutes on algebra ranging from level 3-7[*]10 minutes on shape and space ranging from level 3-7[*]10 minutes on stats ranging from level 3-7</ol>5 minutes at the end to chat with a final question to include all aspects.
    There are just too many things you can do for each its untrue

17. Having just read this string of comments looking for some inspiration, I feel very sad that there seems to be any one upmanship going on here. I thought we were all on the same team and this site was a supportive one.