1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Olympic Themed Sports Day

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by Lucynda C, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Hello, with the London 2012 Olympics coming up in the Summer I would like to change sports day this year to make it more Olympic themed, just wondering if anyone has any good ideas to help, Thank you

2. Primary or secondary?
    I teach PE in a Prep school - we always have a fairly traditional set of events which all of the children form 3-6 participate in (sprint, middle distance, hurdles, long jump, high jump, turbo javelin and mini discus) KS1 take part in a lot of fun relays in the morning while all of this is going on and then in the afternoon the whole school comes together for more relays such as sprint, egg and spoon etc.... So a good mixture of ancient and modern events.
    This year we are planning to include a short opening ceremony - all the children will make flags to represent the competing Olympic nations, and the Sports Captains will read the Olympic Oath before the day starts. Maybe a 'fake' Olympic torch.
    The staff will come dressed as Ancient Olympians, competitors as modern Olympians.
    Although not planned yet, we are going to try and get our yr 6's to take part in an Ancient Olympic Games show event during the lunch break for parents and other children to watch.
    As well as medals and rosettes we are planning on having some laurel wreaths (or something that looks similar) for the winning competitors (we have male/female winner from each yr group - they have points allocated for each event).
    Hopefully a short closing ceremony.
    Would also love to hear anyone else's ideas!

3. momentofclarity

momentofclarity New commenter

My primary section has been running an ongoing Olympic Dreams event at lunch time. It is building towards the final sports day but the basic model is every kid in the year (4-6) participates in every event. It goes through heats and into finals. Each lunch concludes with a flag raising ceremony (I am in an international school so this might not work in a state school) and that country's national anthem being played. There is a proper podium for the kids and it all seems very official. I don't teach in the section, but the kids are all into it, parents come and support and it encourages full participation.

All the best, lots of great possibilities this year!

MoC

4. Hello, sorry I did forget to say I am a primary teacher , thank you for your ideas, I have also got the idea of having a 1st, 2nd, 3rd podium for the chidren to stand on when they come 1st, 2nd or 3rd in their races but not sure my woodwork skills are that great!
    I would also love to include the children in doing the London 2012 mascot dance so parents can see that too!
    I think I better start planning it.......................