1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Olympic Themed songs

Discussion in 'Music' started by mad4music, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hi trying to sort music on a olympic theme .... so far thinking Gold , reach for the stars, we are the champions

2. for choir

3. brookey1970

brookey1970 New commenter

Look out for the next Sing Up magazine for more ideas. If you don't get a hard copy they are usually available on the website.

4. bod99

bod99 New commenter

secondary I presume?
    in Singing Sherlock 2 there's one called Sporting World
    or
    Sarah Watts' new book Ostinato has one called Ostinato Olympics.

5. Roger Quilter's Non Nobis Domine was sung at the 1948 Olympics in London. I have been waiting for an excuse to do that with my choir!

6. Not sure what age group you are looking for. For primary - Out of the Ark Music have an assembly book for KS2 called The Ancient Greeks and there is a song included called "The Olympians"
    Also there is a songbook called Here Comes Summer that has a song called Every Journey. You can listen to songclips on line.

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0yOrlpq49I
    Oooh - I love this song too. [​IMG]
    Used to be 'our' song for the county orchestra I played in and we sang it everywhere we went! On courses or tours we sang it together every night at supper time. [​IMG]
    Ah, memories ... [​IMG]

8. Go to www.educationalmusicals.com they have a musical on "The Ancient Olympics" 50 minute show and some brilliant original songs "The Olympic Torch" "You're a Superstar" and the story is the based on the real story of when the Olympics started. I know it is being done by a huge number of schools across the UK - they also have 2 10 minute assemblies and of course it fits in with the Greek curriculum.

9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Wrong song, Marlin. Lesleyanne is referring to the setting of Rudyard Kipling's poem by Roger Quilter, not the canonic setting of a much earlier text that is wrongly ascribed to Byrd (and that features on your youtube link).

10. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Whoops! Should read posts more carefully - sorry.
    I still love the version we sang though [​IMG]
    A quick check on Wiki - is 'my version' attributed to Van Wilder?

11. Hi,

Just found a songbook called 'Olympics' which has been written by Alan Simmons. Looks quite good, sheet music, backing tracks and only £15!

12. Proud - by that bird from M People...Heather someone? I always associate this with sport for some reason and it does actually bring a tear to my eye....

13. "Reach For The Sky" is a great musical themed around the Olympics - especially written for KS2.
    www.edgyproductions.com

14. Search for the hero also by M People