1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Olympic themed arts week

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by HyperBunny, Apr 1, 2012.

1. HyperBunny

HyperBunny New commenter

Hi all,
    I am looking for some inspiration! I am having a massive 'art block' about what to do for arts week this year.. I know it will have a sporty feel due to the Olympics. My colleagues aren't willing to put as much effort into arts week as they would do a literacy/maths/science week - which is fair enough, but I would like to do as many whole school activities as I can.. whether it will be a whole school display in the hall (take one picture), a parade etc.
    Year 6 have already done moving pictures in the autumn term. I am open to all suggestions, however big, small or complicated!
    Thank you in advance xx

2. HyperBunny

HyperBunny New commenter

Hi all,
    I am looking for some inspiration! I am having a massive 'art block' about what to do for arts week this year.. I know it will have a sporty feel due to the Olympics. My colleagues aren't willing to put as much effort into arts week as they would do a literacy/maths/science week - which is fair enough, but I would like to do as many whole school activities as I can.. whether it will be a whole school display in the hall (take one picture), a parade etc.
    Year 6 have already done moving pictures in the autumn term. I am open to all suggestions, however big, small or complicated!
    Thank you in advance xx

3. joli2

joli2 New commenter

What do you mean by 'done moving pictures'?

4. Have you looked at the art olympic posters? They were created by a number of well known artists, Michael Craig Martin, Tracey Emin, Chris Offili etc - they are really inspiring. I'm sure if you take a look you could find a theme or idea in there.

5. Lenticular optical illusions are fun, look great in the halls and have a sense of movement.
    I'd be happy to share the worksheet I knocked up, nothing special but you could adapt it?
    This site has some examples I discussed with my students but obviously these are on a grand scale, we made some with cardboard and paper.
    <font face="Times New Roman"></font>

6. You could link with history and look at ancient Greek depictions of athletes (statues, on vases, etc). The children could depict modern olympic athletes using the colours of ancient Greek pottery (red/black/white) onto paper plates with Greek 'key' design round border. Other pupils could also create clay figures in motion.( I have done this with Year 2 pupils successfully during the Athens Olympics).
    Another idea might be a whole school collage with each class focussing on a different element of the Games. Each child could produce a figure of themselves participating. Collect images from magazines and newpapers of sporting figures in action to support drawing of figures in motion.

7. HyperBunny

HyperBunny New commenter

Hi, some great ideas here. I especially like the idea, of every child being apart of it, either by posing for a picture or collage. As I said before the Year 6 have already completed their topic, the Ancient Greeks, so the pottery and moving pictures (figures in motion) have been done :( which is a shame.
    We are a two form entry Primary and Nursery school, so lots of kids to get through! I'd like every year group to have a medium to work in, so one year group could create sculptures,like you suggested, a collage, another could weave or cross stitch... I would just love for it to come together to form a whole school piece. I'd even like to get the parents involved and have an open house/gallery.
    Thank you for your ideas so far, xx

8. I think you must make a large collage of different games in olympic and then make it little bit cartoon type..It will lokk great!

9. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Using inspiration from the Halifax adverts, get all of the pupils to come in designated coloured clothes and then create the olympic rings either in the hall, playground or field. You will then need to photograph it from one of the highest points of the school to get an aerial view. Great fun.... to get them to rotate or move for a movie would be even greater fun to watch back. Can be done. It could also be done by planting seeds for flowers or foliage to represent the colours. Ask for seeds from parents for this............ and it could be done on a small scale in the school gardens.

10. HyperBunny

HyperBunny New commenter

I had a little chat with my friends outside of teaching and they suggested these..
    - each year /class do their own opening ceremony dance
    - create Olympic song or own national anthem
    - design their own kit or hats
    - Olympic support banners (which can work with sports day and Olympic torch)
    - make art using sports equipment (paint on footballs/tennis balls then thrown at paper)
    -adverts and tickets for an event
    - create own Olympic sport
    - linked to healthy schools - what do Olympians eat
    xx

11. :Hi
    Sorry this is a random message but I happened to come across your post on here about lenticular art and wondered if you still have the worksheet on it? If so, would you mind sending me it or whatever? Not sure how to share things on here yet! If not, don't worry. It just interested me :) thinking it is something very different for my year 5/6 class to do before the end of term (probably in art week!)

Thanks

12. Would I be able to have some more information on leniticular optical illusions? They look great but really unsure as to how I would make them. I want to do them wih my Year 5's but don't know how to! Would I be able to have the worksheet too? My email addy is sophie.underhill@hotmail.co.uk