1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Olympic Humanities day

Discussion in 'Geography' started by freshfield, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Am trying to organise a variety of geography based workshops for a whole primary school Olympics Humanities Day. My colleague is organising the Historical side, she has lots of idea, I am struggling!
    I would appreciate any ideas!
    Thank you

2. Am trying to organise a variety of geography based workshops for a whole primary school Olympics Humanities Day. My colleague is organising the Historical side, she has lots of idea, I am struggling!
    I would appreciate any ideas!
    Thank you

3. What about the countries that compete? Or the ones that win medals? Or how they make decisions about hosting? Or the countries that have/will host? What year groups will be taking part?

4. Geoteach0027

Geoteach0027 New commenter

A few ideas I have seen/heard/used:
    • Creating charts which show the GDP of competing countries Vs medal haul.
    • Orienteering style task with competing countries dotted around the school.
    • Planning activity for a olympic event (eg an arena is unable to be used, plan and build a suitable venue in a suitable area).
    • Links with the countries involved (What comodities do we trade with it etc)
    • Designing the perfect canoe-ing course--->understanding how rivers work.
    • Transport plan - how people will get to from the Olympic stadium
    Hope this is of some help.

5. Great ideas.
    However, I am planning the day for the whole primary school. Would like to have a carousel of activities just Geography based as my colleague is planning History activities.

Thank you for your support[​IMG]

6. AliJC

AliJC New commenter

Hi,
    Have a look at this website: www.olympicdrama.co.uk - it's a day of five drama workshops for primary schools that cover every aspect of the Olympics past and present.
    Hope this helps.

7. I have started to plan some Olympic lessons around Tourism, Regeneration, The Environment, Place and the Economy. You could do like resource races using lots of photos, news articles etc. The students could collect info on each topic and then have a task linked to it like designing their own day out at the Olympics or what they think about the new regenerated part of Stratford. Or the day could finish with the impact the Olympics will have on GB, or a Decisio Making activity. I know this is aimed at Year 8 but you could simplify the topics. [​IMG]

8. Thank you one and all for your ideas to support my forthcoming Olympic day in
    May.