1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oldest PE teacher in town

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by stopwatch, Jun 27, 2018.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

A bit of self indulgence - humour me!

I always wanted to be a PE teacher since I was 12 years old - This might have had something to do with the fact that my Dad and Uncle were both PE teachers! I was brought up helping my Dad at sports days setting out equipment, timing races, putting kit away.

BTW - before this I wanted to be a lighthouse keeper.

I always thought I would get to mid 40's and then start looking at less active options - like class teacher, Head of Year and maybe even Assistant Head!

As time went on I decided I would stick it out as long as possible as an active PE teacher - maybe 50's. I enjoyed it so much

Anyway, to get to the point, I retire tomorrow at 61 years old and am still actively teaching PE. I could, physically, still continue, I reckon for at least another 5 years, but, as I no longer need to, financially, I have made the decision to use the time wisely to do other 'stuff'.

I have seen so many changes over the years, from the closed/open skills approach of Barbara Knapp, to 'Teaching games through Understanding', more technology has been brought in, activities have gone from the more traditional to things like Parkour and Zumba. Of course, there are also the massive general changes that have happened in schools.

I was just wondering - are there many others out there with similar ages who are still actively teaching PE? So - if I'm not the oldest PE teacher in town - who is?

2. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

Not a PE teacher, but congratulations on your retirement, maybe you should write a book, all those tried and tested ideas.

cys2017 and stopwatch like this.
  3. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Mabruk on the retirement, Stoppers

My football guy is still teaching and running 10 teams at school and is now 67

He's still fitter than most of the youngsters out there - well me at least

stopwatch likes this.
  4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I knew someone who taught P.E. until they retired at 63. They were just as enthusiastic and active as ever!

5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I taught PE til I accepted redundancy and early retirement at near 59. I loved PE and would never ever have survived teaching a classroom subject that long. I was not a fan of GCSE PE- an exam where the theory all too often didn't allow the kids to show what they knew. I enjoyed nearly all the aspects of the subject....... as a school our girls were tremendously successful in so many sports and it really brings me great satisfaction that so many of my team hockey players are still playing in their 30s. I am glad I taught in the era when hardly anyone showed any interest in cheerleading as it would have been a cold day in hell for me to allow that as an activity on the curriculum. The girls did 6 /7 week blocks in hockey, netball, tennis, rounders, gym, dance, athletics, fitness, trampolining, badminton,(+ in year 7 a games skills and Understanding block) and in Yr 9 introduced basketball, volleyball. KS4 saw mostly free choice as long as they did 1 game for 1 block in the year.
    All best wishes for your retirement....tis well earned... between us all we taught a heck of a lot of kids :)

eamonne1 likes this.
  6. eamonne1

eamonne1 New commenter

7. eamonne1

eamonne1 New commenter

I retired from full-time P.E teaching at 59 but , at 64, still do regular PE supply work and coach 3 times per week at my local boxing club.

8. HelenREMfan

Hi
    @stopwatch ... as you know I was an aged PE teacher (58 0n retiring) and "old school". I would have carried on had my knees not let me down..... at least a good few of my championship winning hockey team are still playing and one young lady from my county squad days played on England's gold medal winning hockey team.
    I have been a lifelong swimmer and swimming teacher having had my first private pupil when I was 14 (think I got 10/- a week :)

I mourn what I see as the demise of field hockey - the rot set in when we got a raft of "PE" teachers who as non players couldn't 'get' the obstruction and offside rules (when they existed) so the push was made for girls' football. This does not go down well with me. Yes I quite liked including some football in the games skills and understanding course we would run in year 7 especially as it could encourage the girls to come away from playing as if on tramlines so they could think about using a following player.
    The 'rot' I mention I feel came about when PE teachers had to go to uni to do a 'degree'. They might do a sport science degree but unless they had been well taught in their own schools they so often didn't have a broad depth of knowledge and skill across a whole range of sports. I could quote athletics as being a good example of this as it being a summer sport here PGCE students would prob not get much experience of teaching athletics as their course would be ending. I might have moaned a little at the time but when I trained to be a PE teacher we were immersed in virtually every sport going and most of the focus was on teaching it to children ! The amount of ed gym and dance near killed me off at times but.... I have to say I felt pretty competent at so many sports.... the one exclusion being badminton which my college neglected and consequently I never felt right up to scratch on the game.
    At my school the girls' dept taught 6 week blocks of a whole range of activities and understanding played quite some role as we would reward kids who knew what to do even if they couldn't always be a top performer. The classes were taught in ability groups so that the essentially less confident games players were allowed to play and progress in a group they were comfortable with. No one was allowed to say/think that they were in the '****' group as it could often be that there might be excellent gymnasts/dancers etc in the 'easier' games' group.
    In the summer every group would experience nearly every athletic event, from the 3 throws, 2 jumps, sprinting, hurdling and..... the relay! Our girls all knew and understood how to perform a good relay change over even if they couldn't do it at top sprint speed.
    Kids on activities they didn't much like were always placated with there would be a change over after 6 ish weeks......
    I always believed there was something for everyone in PE whether it was team games (including basketball and volleyball.... though I admit I did vere towards giving up with volleyball and so few girls took to it !)

I am glad I did my teaching when I did. I was totally opposed to mixed PE in KS3 and only support it in KS4 if the kids chose a mixed activity. My 2 daughters suffered mixed PE at their school which meant their gym and dance themes were all geared towards interesting the boys. They suffered the boredom of standing around "playing cricket", the indignity of doing gym in year 10 with boys whilst in PE knickers! oh but did the boys' football lessons get 'enhanced' by including the girls ..... nope not at all - so much for "mixed PE" then.
    It would have been a cold day in hell that would have seen me sanction the activity of 'cheerleading' in my school (unless of course the boys wished to prance and dance along the sidelines whilst wearing their speedos whilst the girls played competitive sport !)
    I would not have survived teaching a classroom based subject - I liked the freedom of being more remote with my teaching groups... being my own boss.....

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    eamonne1 likes this.
  9. HelenREMfan

I did mean to conclude with a retirement congratulations..... of course getting onto my soapbox made me forget.
    I too always wanted to teach PE (when not wishing to do law or languages - my Latin result rather put paid to that but then I didn't revise it having decided that sport would win....despite my mother wailing that I wouldn't be wanting to teach PE aged 40! I did. However I was a Head of Year and so had a slightly reduced PE timetable. I still ran tons of teams doing matches and practices of course.

eamonne1 likes this.