1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Older teachers and getting jobs?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by speaker2, Apr 26, 2020.

1. speaker2

speaker2 Occasional commenter

So, just wondering, are there any teachers over age of 50 in primary sector getting appointed on permanent contracts as teachers? [Outside of London]

2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I can only think of two people I know who've tried in recent years - one managed it, the other one hasn't - I think they're still going from one maternity cover to the next. The first person is early 50s while the second is 60 or maybe slightly over. This is in the Midlands.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Obviously, age discrimination is illegal. Many schools try to shortlist “blind”, not showing details such as age or gender etc.

It may be an issue of salary level in these straightened times.

Just pull out all the stops in presenting all your assets in the application. Don’t forget any extras. Could you offer a bit of a foreign language, run a club, be keen to organise educational trips, play the piano for Assembly.

Show them that you’re really a good bargain!

I’ve put a blank executive summary, a template I mean, in the TESResources, to help applicants, so you don’t have to faff around with formatting one for yourself. Have a look, you may find it useful.

Best wishes, keep safe

MathMan1 likes this.
  4. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Yes. I've appointed 3 in the last 2 years.