1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Older applicants for International School positions

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mrchickabeam, May 20, 2012.

1. Could it be my applications that don't get me to interview or could it be my age? I have had no luck even getting to interview stage for International Schools in S.E.Asia. When I have sought feedback from schools, some of stated frankly that I was too old. 50 is not too old. I am experienced within early childhood depts and I am a male. Feedback about this would be appreciated.

2. Could it be my applications that don't get me to interview or could it be my age? I have had no luck even getting to interview stage for International Schools in S.E.Asia. When I have sought feedback from schools, some of stated frankly that I was too old. 50 is not too old. I am experienced within early childhood depts and I am a male. Feedback about this would be appreciated.

3. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

It is of concern to myself as I also approach 50. I know one guy in his late 50's who secured a two year contract out in
    SE Asia but who admitted it had been an incredible srtuggle.
    I guess I'm looking to be somewhere I feel appreciated and happy so I can stay until retirement in case it does become harder to secure alternatives. If you have a sharp mind and good attitude towards your work and the kids, experience should really count.

4. I went job hunting earlier this year, having just turned 50. I felt a job fair would be the best way for me to connect with employers directly. Although there were only a few positions available in my area, I secured a reasonable number of interviews and came away with two job offers at very reputable schools. Not once was my age brought up by those interviewing me, although I did say things like, 'In my experience....' and 'When I was younger...' to quiry whether this was going to be an issue. Since those interviewing me were my age (and older) we actually had some interesting conversations about changes in educational practise (is there an app for that?) and I believe it was our mutual appreciation of our experience which made the interviews go well, and the job offers occur. There will be those in management who will appreciate what you bring to the table, and, although some schools do practise age discrimination (amongst other things; and yes, I do realize attaining visas may be an issue which isn't the fault of the schools), there are many others who can, and will, hire you.

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

50 shouldn't be an issue, but I can't say for sure that no one would ever discriminate. If you come across as a vibrant, active person, all should be good.
    I'm in one of those places with age restrictions - mandatory retirement is 60. We flat out can't hire anyone who will be turning 60 within their first year, and we avoid hiring anyone who couldn't complete at least 2 years, preferably more. It just wouldn't make sense for us. But we'd take you at 50, no worries. (Yes, we can in very rare cases get exceptions to allow someone to stay on for a year or two past 60, but we have to prove that it would be very difficult to find a replacement. If the person in question does something pretty standard like teach a PYP grade or MYP English, there's no hope for them staying. And it's out of our hands.)

6. jereni

jereni New commenter

Out of interest, how old is too old?

And are we expected to gracefully fade away back to UK when we hit 60? With the retirement age going up, I fully expect to be teaching well into my 60s.

7. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Well to be fair, the UK will offer little as far as teaching possibilities go at that age if considering a return. Possible supply? Who knows what form cover work will exist in by then, and short term contracts will as always be difficult to secure due to the higher costs of employing an expereinced teacher.
    The point is valid as in many countries in Europe and Asia, overseas workers cannot be employed past the age of 60, although there are in some cases ways around it for valued staff.
    I've no plans to return to the UK on reaching 60 and to be honest doubt I'd be able to fund a comfortable lifestyle, and I've a full basic pension, property and substantial savings. The UK is simply a money eater!

8. Although my avatar may indicate otherwise, I am pretty far from reaching 50 years old mark, let alone the 60 years old one. However, the question of when and more importantly where to retire has been one that lays heavy on my mind. Which is why I plan to start the process to get Permanent Resident status in Singapore, and potentially later on apply for citizenship.I don't want to have made myself comfortable somewhere only to be kicked out because of the whims of Father Time.

9. As the Happygreenfrog says, it is not usually the decision of schools to discount the 60 somethings from recruitment but rather the laws of the country itself. There is little a school can do about that, even if they wanted to appoint someone over 60. Anyway, 60 is the new 40 in my book!!!

10. Oh, great, that makes me about 32. I don't feel 32.
    What book is that?

11. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

"60 is the New 40! A Guide to Living in the 21st Century" written by I. Aint A. Gonner, with a forward by Hugh Must B. Joking.
    It has some stunning reviews
    "Amongst some of the greatest books I haven't read!" Hugh Avin. A. Laff
    "Deserves a place on every bookshelf!" Where Is My Kindle?

12. To the OP, Mrchickabeam, I wouldn't give up, int. schools do recruit older applicants if you' fit their timetabling jigsaw, have solid references and are still enthusiastic about teaching. At 52 I secured my current job in Thailand but decided to endure only one 2 year contract here. At 54 I have landed a great school in another SE Asian country for the next academic year, and am chomping at the bit! [​IMG]

13. To karvol - LOL

I am not approaching anywhere near 60, however, in the spirit of camaraderie let´s try to encourage our OP with some support here !

Kindle.....isnt that something to do with starting a fire ......

14. goatchercoach

goatchercoach New commenter

I am currently a fit , energetic and slightly wild 57 year old enjoying working in Qatar having previously worked in Kuwait from the age of 50. I want to work past 60, preferably till 65, but am struggling to find countries where I will be welcomed. Anyone any suggestions?

15. I got my first post at 45. I kept getting knockbacks claiming I wasn't young free and single or married with a family and therefore didn't fit neatly into a slot. I think schools seemed worried about employing someone who was on their own...maybe they thought I wouldn't cope, not sure really. As someone who has never needed to be part of a crowd and travelled all over the World on my own it seemed strange but I am pleased to say that I am very happy with my lot and hope to stay here for a while :)

Don't give up. Keep applying. The right job in the right place is out there!

16. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Being a bit over the hill is not too much of a problem in the Middle Kingdom. It might even be an advantage. There are quite a few grey hairs, bald patches and wrinkles in my present school in Shenzhen.

Rumour also has it that there are lots of pretty Chinese ladies who are keen on middle-aged western males. (As a happily married hippo, I would not know about these things.)