1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Old work - keep for ofsted?

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by emmakdonovan, Jul 2, 2020.

1. emmakdonovan

emmakdonovan New commenter

Hi, was told recently that we cannot give the year 11s or other year groups their exercise books at the end of the school year in case ofsted come in, as they will want to see progression from year 7 to 11.
    Is this the case? As I am running out of storage space for all these books!
    Thank you

2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Bonkers

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

No, you are wrong there. Bonkers is too kind a description.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  4. emmakdonovan

:D Thank you both.
    Now to think about how to word that to SLT without using the word bonkers.
    Going to see if I can find anything online to support my case as I knew it was mad but needed to hear it from others too.

5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

This hinges on your intended curriculum as below from the Ofsted guidance for inspectors.

I can see how one book can indicate progress across an academic year, but comparing a year 7 student with the same student 4 years later.....If the school feels that this is needed then they can select the work and throw away all the other stuff. It's bonkers and a school grading is much more than a book scrutiny.

103. Inspectors will not take a random sample of exercise books/folders/sketchbooks/electronic files and so on (which we refer to as ‘pupils’ books and other work’). Instead, they will scrutinise pupils’ books and other work across a faculty, department, subject, key stage or year group and aggregate insights to provide part of the evidence for an overall view of the quality of education. Inspectors will not evaluate individual workbooks or teachers. Inspectors will not use work scrutiny to evaluate teachers’ marking. Inspectors will connect work scrutiny to lesson visits and, where at all possible, conversations with pupils and staff.
    104. Inspectors can use work scrutiny to contribute to an evaluation of whether the work that pupils do over time reflects the intended curriculum. Work scrutiny will help inspectors to form a view of whether pupils know more and can do more, and whether the knowledge and skills they have learned are well sequenced and have developed incrementally. Inspectors will synthesise what they find in order to contribute to their overall assessment of the quality of education across a faculty, department, subject, key stage or year group.

6. emmakdonovan

Thank you so much for taking the time to find this for me. I now know where to look and what I can send to SLT. The progress is small small small step as it’s a SEN provision. So a snap shot I think would work better. Thanks

7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

You're welcome !

8. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Absolutely not necessary! Hand the books out to the pupils and if they don’t want them, then box them up for the skip!
    You’d need a significant amount of storage space for all those books and it would quite frankly be a waste! Inspectors would be more interested in actual results, as opposed to ‘legacy work’!